Popping Corn

Alec sat behind the desk in his office twiddling with his pen and failing to concentrate on the demon reports. As he tried to focus his impatient brain on nasty, angry monsters, he realised he was not going to get this done.
"Alec" Underhill said, breaking into his Magnus related trance.
"Oh, sorry" he looked up, "What is it?"
"Well, I, um, wondered if I could have a couple of hours off this evening"
"Sure. I don't want to force you to work too long"
"Thank you"
Alec stretched his tired arms and picked up his pen again, but to no avail. He gave up and walked out of the office, turning right at the corridor down to the lunch hall. As he turned towards the tables, he stopped. Just inside the doorway, he could see two people kissing very busily. His cousin, Aline, and a woman he hadn't really met before. They broke apart quickly, blushing profusely, and Alec cleared his throat, embarrassed.
"I'm sorry" he mumbled and turned to leave
"No, it's fine, we should really find somewhere more private." Aline said.
"Only we never manage to get there" laughed the other woman
"Alec, this is my girlfriend, Helen. Helen , this is my brother, Alec"
Alec and Helen exchanged greetings and Alec walked away. He had sort of known Aline had a girlfriend, but it was nice to meet her.
As he went back to his office, he looked at his watch and realised he hadn't actually clarified details with Magnus.

Alec:
Hey Magnus, I have spare time. Shall we meet up before going for 🍝?

Magnus:
Is that a strawberry pudding emoji?

Alec:
No. It is pasta. Why would I put a strawberry pudding?

Magnus:
Idk. You wanted strawberry pudding???
Sry
Yh, I am free all day, so come when u like, we can watch a movie

Alec:
💘🧡❣️😻💚🖤💛💓💞💔💜💗💙💖♥️💕🥰😍😘❤️
On my way!

Magnus:
My boyfriend is a maniac!
A beautiful, sexy maniac!

Alec knocked on Magnus's door and waited.
"Alexander!" Magnus greeted him with his usual enigmatic enthusiasm.
"How are you?" Alec asked as he followed Magnus into the colourful living room.
"Beauty is as beauty does" Magnus smiled, "What shall we watch? Something classic?"
"I am afraid I literally don't know of any movies. Shadowhunters aren't given to television really" Alec apologised
"Then it is my life's goal to get you to watch as many series as possible" Magnus turned on the television and flicked through. "What about Sherlock " he suggested
"Sounds good"
They had just started watching, a red satiny blanket draped across them, when Magnus grabbed the remote and stood up.
"I can't believe we forgot popping corn!" he caught Alec's hand and pulled him towards the kitchen.
"What are we doing, Magnus?" he complained
"We need to make popping corn. You can't watch tv without popping corn. It is a crime" Magnus said, opening cupboards and piling ingredients on the table.
"What is popping corn?" Alec asked bemused and Magnus stopped in his tracks.
"You don't know what popping corn is?" He stared as Alec shook his head, "Okay, I have a wrong to right.  Stay here"
Alec stood helplessly in Magnus's kitchen as his boyfriend scurried around, digging into drawers and eventually surfaced holding a piece of paper.
"This is a recipe. You know how to cook, right?" Magnus said, pulling Alec over to the glittery stove.
"Yes, I'm not a mundane" he said, slightly irritated
"Well, I am going to teach you how to make popping corn"
"Why can't you just snap your fingers and conjure some?" Alec asked
"Well, you can't and popping corn is an essential food"
"Okay," said Alec taking the slightly delicate piece of paper, "So I need three cups of corn and a quarter cups of oil. Do you think that is exactly a cup?" He asked, holding up a perfectly filled cup
"Alec, I don't think you have to be that precise..." Magnus began
"Well if it meant 'around about a cup' it would say so, wouldn't it?" Alec countered
Magnus didn't manage to do much, as Alec was worried he would be imprecise with the measurements, but he enjoyed watching him.
When the popping corn was eventually in the pan, Alec breathed a deep breath.
"Do you think it is done yet?" He asked, going to open the pan
"Alexander, no!" Magnus began, but it was too late. Alec opened the lid and a shower of popping corn cascaded across the kitchen.
"Oh no!" Alec cried, looking at the devastation covering Magnus's stove, "why did it do that?"
"It is popping corn, Alexander. It, well...pops. It is fine." He waved his hand and the mess disappeared, "It is probably time to go to Italy now actually"
"Okay, but we are going to do this again. Do not forget"
"Don't worry. I might be old, but my memory is as good as ever. Come on"
Magnus took Alec's hand and summoned a portal. Smiling they stepped through. This was going to be a good evening.