chapter 15 | paparazzi

Darryl POV
Zak and i strode down the walkway. It's 2am and we're going on a short walk around my town, the only source of light we have is the faded yellow street lights. Zak's wearing a black beanie and a black puffer jacket, I'm just wearing a red t-shirt and some black track pants with a white hoodie over it. Zak is only wearing a black mask this time, not any sunglasses.

"So.. your performing in a few days?" I broke the silence - I didn't want this to get awkward easily.

"Yeah.." Zak breathes out. "You can come, you know. I can just say you work for me." He looks at me. "Sure!" I smile, Zak gets very nervous and I want to be there to comfort him. It goes silent for a while.

But that silence breaks when we hear people running up to us and yelling.

"ZAK ZAK ZAK!" Someone yells. It's paparazzi. "Shit!" Zak mumbles under his own breath. "WHO IS THIS?!" The paparazzi yells again, Zak looks at me bitting his lip anxiously. 'I have an idea' I mouth. I back up away from him and stand in front of Zak. "Oh my gosh I'm your biggest fan!!" I fake gasp, I jump up and down. I can see flashing lights coming from the corner of my eye.

I use the hood of my hoodie to try to hide my appearance. Zak seems shocked by the idea but finally plays along. "Thank you!" He pulls down his mask and smiles, I rummage through my pocket and find a pen. "Sign my hand!" I exclaim, Zak grabs the one and signs the back of my hand. I smile and more paparazzi surrounds us, more fans arriving. I walk away and turn around, and he signals a thumbs up.

While walking I can hear Zak's voice from a distance. "Please guys, I have somewhere to go." Zak tries to cover his face and runaway from the scene.

I finally arrive at my door and I walk inside. "Hey Grandma!" I smile, She replies with a wave. "Why aren't you asleep?" I lock the door, "This show is really good." She giggles. I make my way to my room and close the door. Taking off my shoes I flop onto my bed grab my phone out of my pocket and text Zak.

You
I'm sorry, I wish we had more time together D:

Zak
Its fine! I've made it safely, I called Cara and she called security to come over and escort me. Yet she was slightly upset I exited the house without Max.

Darryl
Does that mean next time we hang out we have to have Max with us?

Zak
Darryl, I don't think we can do that again. Cara says we should only hang out at my apartment.

I freeze. I have to agree.

Darryl
Yeah yeah ofc. Are you home now?

Zak
I'm still in a car

Darryl
Can we call? When you get home. I still had more to talk about.

Zak
Okay yea sure

I smile. I exit iMessage and open up twitter, just to see photos of Zak and the paparazzi. One of them has me - but you can't make out who I actually am. I sigh and zoom into Zak's face. I wish he was next to me, I smile thinking about it.

All of a sudden I hear a knock at the front door. "I'll get it ma!" I call out, I sit up and I walk out of my room. Making my way to the front door.

I twist the doorknob and see Zak, I look up at him. "Zak? What are you doing here?!" My eyebrows twitch, "You said you wanted more time together?" He grins. I feel myself getting hot, "Yeah I guess I did.."

He chuckles and I drag him to my room. I turn on my Xbox and we start to play Minecraft, I introduced it to Zak a couple days ago. Since then we started a new survival world. Zak's the one who collects the resources and I'm the builder.

~~~

Zak POV

"Nooo" Darryl whine when our house gets blown up by a creeper. I laugh, I glare at the brunette, he's really pretty. I yawn, "I'm getting tired." I drop the controller onto Darryl's bed. "Same here. I think we should stop, it's 3am." Darryl looks at his watch. He turns off the Xbox.

"Uh-" I stammer, "Can I.. stay over tonight?"

I clench my fists nervously and I wait for an answer. "Yeah sure! I have a sleeping bag in my closet." He smiles, i nod and I sit up to open his closet. I notice Darryl has a wide collection of hoodies and track pants. "Where?" I turn around to see Darryl already under the covers. "Top right." He points.

I look at the top right and see a blue sleeping bag. "Thanks." I grin. I grab it and roll it down onto the floor next to his bed. Darryl chucks me one of his pillows, it hitting my face. "Sorry!" He giggles.

Sometimes I'm jealous about how cute he is, I wish I was even half as pretty as him. Yeah I'm handsome but I'm not pretty, unlike him. I snap out of my thoughts and lie down, fitting my pillow under my head. "Night." Darryl speaks, he turns onto his side facing me. He turns off the lights. "Goodnight." I reply.