chapter 23 | out of my league

Darryl POV (CW : mentions of anxiety)
It's getting to much for me.

The lights, the photos, the theories.

It's overwhelming

I walk to my cabinet of my kitchen. I open it and grab a container containing my anxiety pills. I place it down on the counter and I grab a glass cup from the dish rack - I fill it up with tap water and I place it next to the container. I sniffle as I open the container, I took what I needed and I inserted the pills into my mouth.

I pick up my glass of water and I swallow it - allowing the pills to be swallowed easier. When I'm done all of my intrusive thoughts disappeared. All I could hear was a humming sensation in my brain.

hummm

I drink the rest of my water and I toss it into the sink; I let the pills stay laid on the counter.

Grandmas out for bingo with her friends, leaving me all alone for a few hours.

I walk over to my bed and I jump, my face landing into my soft cotton pillows, I rub my face into it. I flipped over and I grab my phone resting on my bedside table - I unlock it with my Face ID and I open twitter, Twitter has seemed to let the live stream situation off.. but it still gets remembered daily.

The first post I see is one of my friends at a party, the next post being an old cousin; I scroll a bit farther and I see a post from a Inside Sweater Updates account.

@InsideSweaterUpdates
Zak's lyrics to a new song gets leaked!

I blink a couple of times. Leaked?

To the tweet a picture was attached, it had three full paragraphs filled with lyrics. I decide to read it.

'Cause you were out of my league
All the things I believed
You were just the right kind
Yeah, you were more than just a dream
You were out of my league
Got my heartbeat racing
If I die, don't wake me
'Cause you are more than just a dream

I stop. Is this about me? I shake my head to get out of my trance. I then check the replies.

@Harley_xoxo12
Didn't Zak once say in an interview that when he writes about songs it's about something real? 🤔
|
|
|
@luvxredvbirds
+ their latest song.. zaks dating someone 😨

They're getting closer and closer every day.

~~~

Zak POV
Darryls ear is pressed up against my chest, I feel his brunette hair tickle my chin.

"Language." I hear him mumble slightly. I giggle, "I didn't say anything."

"Languageee" He slurs; I run my fingers throughout Darryls hair, hitting some knots while doing so. "Your performing again tomorrow right" Darryl looks up at me with doe eyes. "Yeah." I'm fingers reach the end after combing Darryls hair. "You know I love you right?" I whisper softly, he just responds with a short nod, "Mhm."

I then start giving soft pecks on Darryls neck. "Don't give me a hickey." Darryl states, I look at him and nod. I continue kissing his neck softly, then up to his jawline - and just as I was about to kiss him I ask him something. "Can I?" I question.

Darryl hesitates for a moment.

"Yeah."

Electrifying my every move, I move closer and closer until I finally felt those pink lips of his - they were soft, unlike mine.. they were chapped. Darryl just stays still, making me do all the work. The kiss was passionate, not anything rushed, or what would be considered rough. He then melts into the kiss slowly, kissing back.

I'm the first to pull away.

I just kissed Darryl. Don't get me wrong- I've kissed many people before. Just not.. a guy? I've kissed about seven different girls before this moment but this one feels special, like it stands out. Darryl looks unfazed.

"You alright?" I ask with a shaky breath, my breathing hitches.. why am I so nervous? Darryl immediately snaps out of his gaze, "Sorry- uh. Im great!" Darryl blinks twice.

Everything goes silent for awhile

"Did you see twitter?" He breaks the silence. I raise an eyebrow, what? "No, why?" I speak. "Your lyrics got leaked." He explains, "Lyrics?" I'm still confused. All of a sudden Darryl starts muttering familiar lyrics. "Cause you were out of my league.. All the things I believed."

"Was that song about me?" He asks. "Yeah." I smile.

I wrote that song before we got together. It was a scrap and I wrote a new one; I don't care if this gets leaked since it's never gonna be released but how the fuck did it get shown to the public?

~~~

The phone starts to ring. "Please pick up, please pick up." I chant under my breath.

"Hello?" A middle aged lady speaks.

"Hey mom!" I smile fondly. "Zak?" She speaks with confusion in her tone. "We haven't er- talked in a while." I speak; "Yeah we haven't" She agrees. "I'm in a relationship." I confess, "Oooh really? Whose the lucky lady?!" She immediately exclaims.

Lucky Lady

I suck in a breath "Haha.. well- uhm,. You see, I have a boyfriend actually."

"Your gay?." She responds, I can hear the excitement in her voice drop. "I still like girls! But I like boys too Ma." I reply. "Oh." I can barely hear her mumble the two letter word.

"I have to go now Zak. I'll talk to u later." I can make out clattering in the background.

"Oh okay, I'll see you soon. I love you!" I fiddle with my fingers. "Bye." She then hangs up.

I knew coming out was a bad idea