chapter 16 | stupid emoticons

Darryl POV
In the background I hear shoes sliding, whistles blowing off and yelling. I'm currently sketching a drawing of Zak's drum set. Suddenly I feel cold eyes watching me from behind.

"What are you drawing?" Vincent leans over my shoulder - we stayed after school to watch Harvey's basketball training. "A drum set." I respond simply.

"I saw paparazzi pictures of Zak last night. Did you see?" He asks. "Yep." I continue drawing, "Did I do something wrong?" He says out of nowhere. "No why would you think that?" I turn around facing him, scrunching my eyebrows. "I don't know, you always hang out with Zak all the time and your getting.. you know- dry."

I gulp, who the fuck has the audacity to say that?

"Your just overreacting this Vince." I try to remain calm. "Okay.. sorry, I guess." He backs up, my fists clench. I continue drawing to clear out my mind.

A few moments later Harvey comes back. With sweat all over him, he's panting. "Can we go now?" Harvey rubs his sweat droplets with a mini towel. "Yeah.. I'm meeting up with my date later." Vincent speaks, "You have a date?!" Me and Harvey both raised our eyebrows in sync.

"Yeah. Her names Riley!" He smiles, "I'm taking her out for Valentine's Day!"

"It's Valentine's Day?" I gasped, how did I forget? Not like it matters to me or anything but what!?

"Yeah dude, are you gonna ask Harvey out?" Vincent jokes. Harvey looks at Darryl and Darryl hides his face, "Don't make this embarrassing bro." Harvey responds. "My bad my bad." Vincent backs up with his hands up.

I sit back up properly, "Can we just go?" I change the subject. I start to grab my items and stuff It into my backpack; Harvey and Vincent look at each other for assurance and then started packing up their stuff too.

~~~

We all are now seated on the bus, not the school bus since we're already late. It felt a awkward and silent, so I had to break it.

"Zak slept over at mine last night."

Yep.. I didn't mean to make it sound bad.

"Oh so you guys slept together? That's great." Vincent shrugs. "What? No, Vincent." I say, "Why did you take so long to say no." Harvey giggles. "No- Harvey I just had to process what Mr Got-A-Date said." I rolled my eyes. "Yeah yeah, did u do you guys do anything.. fun?" Vincent jokes.

"Enough with the language jokes Vince!" I cross my arms. "What's language about having fun? You didn't watch movie or play games?"

"No we did play Minecraft." I nod.

"I booked tickets to Inside Sweater. Are you two coming?" Harvey asks. "No, Riley's gonna take me to an Olivia Rodrigo concert at the same time." Vincent responds. "Dude- do you even like Olivia Rodrigos music?!" Harvey asks.

"No, but Riley does."

"Whatever, Darryl are you coming?" Harvey turns to me. "Hmm.. I'll see." I lie, I was gonna be backstage with Zak. Pretending to be an assistant - I just didn't wanna lie to Harvey. "Okay.. you have to get your own sorry Darryl, I'm actually getting broke at this point."

"It's fine." I smile. I look out the window and I start to scroll through Twitter. Vincent and Harvey are chatting about homework, i unzip my backpack and get a packet of gum out.

Watermelon flavoured.

While searching through my bag I also got some cherry chapstick. I applied it to my chapped lips and then put it back where it came from; I unwrapped the gum and tossed it into my mouth. The sweetness and fruitiness watermelon flavour made me drool.

Suddenly I felt continuous nudging on my left shoulder. "This is our stop!" Vincent speaks. My head shoots up and alll three of us hop out of the bus.

~~~

When I arrive home I realise Zak left one of his socks under my bed. I sigh and open up iMessages.

You
You left one of your socks here o_O

Zak
Haha mb, I'll come over to pick it up later

You
No you don't need to come over just buy a new pair, you have like a million dollars. Just buy new ones.

Zak
I have 114k smarty pants. Rent in my apartment is not cheap

You
My bad z_z

Zak
Why do you always do those stupid emoticon things

You
What emoticon things

Zak
You know. Those

Zak
owo or >:O

You
It's a habit.

Zak
Whatever bad boy

I roll my eyes pretending not to care - but yet at the same time it made my heart flutter and grew a smile on my face. I didn't know why I liked it but it felt... i don't know, nice.?

~~~

I'm on the cal with Velvet, just talking about what's going on lately.

"Dude do you know the guitarist in Inside Sweater?" He asks. "Uh yeah I do, Ant? what about him?" I question, "He's hot. Do you think you can ask Zak if he can set me up with him?" Velvet chuckles. "Wha- No! I'm not gonna do that, that's just awfully awkward." I reply.

"Fine, I'll do plan b. I'll message him on his Instagram." Velvet says. "What are you gonna say?" I drink out of my bubble tea. "Will you be my boyfriend. Is that good enough?" Velvet asks me. "Thats horrible Velvet! If you ever need relationship advice come to me, I haven't been in many but I'm prepared."

"Okay Darryl, what do I say then?" Velvet hums. "Say hello and say something heart warming." I take another sip of my drink, "Like cock warming?" Velvet jokes; I spit out my drink. "No! No! Something like.. 'Hey, I love your music and I find you really pretty.' Or something like that, not that.. language stuff." I stammer.

"So, if he responds I take the conversation from there?" Velvet asks. "Exactly. See! Your getting the hang of it." I grab a wipe and start cleaning up the liquid. "Okay.. and, send!" Velvet speaks.