XXVII.

TIMEFIGHTER
- LUCY DACUS

TIMEFIGHTER - LUCY DACUS

★━━─ ・‥...━━━☆

"have you see this girl?"

spencer reid received the expected response from the many souls littering the motel that new year's eve. he knew it was a hotspot for crime, especially after lydia jacobs confirmation the last time he saw her at the station. every single one said no until the investigator found the last to see the girl in question.

"yeah, lydia." asher was nodding towards the picture so obviously from one of east highland's yearbooks. "she comes around here sometimes."

"was she here tonight?"

"i saw her leave with some other girls— figured it's some new years party or whatever."

even without his training, spencer would've been able to pick up on the signs the man knew more than he was letting on. asher's frame was shoved against the closest car, handcuffs securing his wrists behind his back. "she's a minor, you knew that, didn't you?"

while asher could've denied the accusation with no proof, he remembered lydia's last words, and was quickly signing away any need for evidence. "everything was consensual!"

"she's a traumatized kid." the investigator was using more force than necessary in the arrest. "you took advantage of a kid who needs help, not more to unpack in therapyhow do you live with yourself?"

"she came to me. she's always came to me, not the other way around. she knew what she was doing."

"you'll have time to reflect on that behind bars."

★━━─ ・‥...━━━☆

"you're rue and lydia's friend— lexi, right?"

"yeah, since preschool, but i don't think you'd even call us friends anymore." the howard was quickly closing her eyes in embarrassment. "i'm sorry, i don't know why i said that."

"nah, you good. you meant what you meant." fez's eyes flickered to the kitchen where lydia and jackson were entering side by side. they were oblivious to the gaze studying their features, too lost in their own conversation about god knows what. "you and lydia aren't friends anymore?"

lexi hesitated in uttering a response as she too followed where fez's gaze remained. "i can't trust her."

the boy could understand on a personal level, for as much as they loved lydia, she was never reliable. she said what they wanted to hear, a trait she embodied growing up in the jacobs household.