Chapter 22

Kennedy

We arrived at Vizcaya Museum and gardens. I smiled, when we were in Bora Bora I told everyone one night at dinner that I'd never been to a museum but I loved art. I didn't think he was paying attention because he seemed uninterested and he was texting on his phone.

"Just because I don't seem interested bella doesn't mean that I'm not listening." I turned my head to his direction stunned. It was as if he would hear my thoughts.

I guess my face said the words I couldn't because a sly smirk appeared on his face. "Where are all the people, aren't places like this always full?" I asked

He nodded, "normally they are, but I wanted to be alone with you. Besides you know I don't like people."

That caused me to chuckle. The gardens were beautiful, there were long palm trees everywhere with all different kinds of flowers. Some I'd never even heard of. "What I was five Sal brought me here. He said that people were like plants. What they are conceived they can grow into something beautiful, but just like humans every plant had a death date. He would say that the Italian mafia were the roses of the garden and how weeds would often try to invade our space, and when that happened we had every right to pluck them out." He shook his head.

"I used to think he was talking about bad people, turns out the old fart was talking about black people." That made me tense. "From that day on I pledged that I'd ruin his "perfect" mafia by allowing all people from every nation, background, race, and gender join the mafia if they wanted to." He said

"Is that why he wants to kill you?" I questioned

"I have no idea, that could be part of the reason, but I think this is deeper than a race issue or else your father wouldn't be involved." He stated

We continued to walk through a pathway lined with lilies. I stopped and turned to a light blue and white lily. "I read that these are hard to find. They're called blue-stargazers." I said

"You like flowers?" He asked

"I do. I love them. My mom liked them too, her office in the house was off limits, but I would sneak in there at nights and read some of the books she had on the shelves. Turns out she had a degree in biology and was a botanist." I started walking again. "I wanted to be a botanist. I'm pretty sure you looked at my records so this won't be new. I graduated from high school by the age of twelve because all I ever did was do work, right throughout the year, but Alex never let me apply to any colleges."

He took my hand and laced our fingers together. My heart skipped a few beats. We went inside the mansion, there were all different kinds of scenic and portrait paintings.

One specifically caught my eye. It wasn't a scenic painting, it was a portrait of a black girl who had duck tape over her mouth with the words speak on it. "She's an upcoming artist. According to her interview with essence she painted it because her whole life she was told what she could and could not say. This painting was the day she decided she was going to live her life and she wasn't going to be placed into a box by her parents or society." Christian added

"Why'd you bring me here Christian?" I asked "believe me when I say that I am enjoying my time, but I don't understand you. One day you'll be kissing me on my lips and the next your like an ice cube. I know you have needs and I understand completely if you don't want to have sex with me. That's completely fine, after all I was arranged to be yours. I know that..."

He let out a sarcastic scoff, "you don't know anything Kennedy. If I wanna let lose I know what to do. If I wanted to have sex with other women don't you think I would have already done that?! At first I stopped having sex with them out of respect for you because despite me not knowing a thing about you before the engagement party I wanted to be loyal!" I stood completely still. Part of me thought he was going to hit me because he started pacing back and forth.