Chapter 39

Kennedy

I decided that I didn't want to follow Christian to the warehouse. When I got home I took off my dress, took a shower, hopped in some biker shorts and a tank top and went to bed.

I expected to wake up and see the sun rising but instead I woke up in an empty bed with the clock reading 2:34am.

I was craving some ice cream so I go downstairs to he kitchen. As I enter the kitchen I see Elora and Trey almost in a stand off.

Elora was holding a knife in her hand while Trey leaned against the kitchen counter with scotch in his hand. The look he was giving her was like he was daring her to do whatever she really wanted to do.

Without looking in my direction Elora threw down the knife and walked out.

"Do you mind explaining what the hell is going on?" I asked, while being completely frozen.

He down the rest of his scotch and then laughed.

"She came in here while I was sippin. She didn't utter a word to me so I decided to be the bigger person and say hello. Then she started being dramatic, by saying all I do I check on the kids and make sure that they are okay and it's like I don't care about her anymore."

I grab some ice cream and vanilla cake and start to feast. I can tell this is going to be interesting.

"So I'm like you're the mother of my children, of course I care about you. Then she starts crying and I kid you not Neddy I was lost. So I start laughing."

I almost choke on the ice cream. Everyone knows not to laugh at Elora if she cries, because either she is tired or she's three seconds from killing you.

"Oh boy" I say in a hushed tone

"But then she started spazzing, like a little gremlin. Like I'm 6'4 and she was all up in my face. I thought she was gonna break her damn foot the way she was standing. She started she how she knows she messed up but I needed to know my place and whatever. So I told her that one thing I knew was that my place was not in her damn bed with her and boy I tell you..."

A laugh erupted out of me. "No you didn't."

"Yes the hell I did. Don't get me wrong, after everything I still love her but she was acting like a damn Chihuahua. Finally I told her how I felt. I told her that she needs to be grown for once and stop acting like a child. I told her to get a hold of herself and that if she stopped being selfish and self centered for a minute she'd realize that her problems don't matter right now. I told her that you are going through more than she's ever gone through and you're not acting like her. She took up the knife and that's when you walked in."

I stopped eating my ice scream completely and stared at him. For the first time I actually realize that he's quite handsome.

"Thank you Trey, but that wasn't necessary." I saw lowly.

"It was though Neddy. I love Elora, I shoot I'm in love with her but there's a part of me that wants to hate her. I know it was a while ago but I got mad at her that day because she put everyone's life in danger. Including hers and our kids and man that messed me up. When I saw her I was relieved but at the same time I wanted to shoot her."

I bite my lip to suppress my laughter. I have a bad habit of wanting to laugh at the wrong times.

"You guys are confusing and annoying." I say plainly

"Yea, but it's true though. She's acting like a child. Don't get me wrong she's an amazing mother but all she does is say  "T I'm sorry that I did what I did. I wanna go back to us being us" and man I don't wanna hear that. What I want her to do is be grown and say can we talk about what happened? Instead of just saying sorry."

He sighs as he pours himself another drink. "I was gonna marry her. I had a ring, I still have it but I'm waiting to see if she can stop being selfish."

I stay silent because in a way I know Trey is right. I love Elora but while I was in Vermont she never really asked how I was.

"Why don't you try to talk to her instead?" I ask

he shakes his head, "she needs to be grown, Neddy. And right now she's acting like Kyler when he doesn't get his bottle right away."

I laugh again, just as I'm about to respond to him I hear the front door open. Both Trey and I look to see who it is.

Christian, Tony and my sisters walked in the door. Christian was covered in blood. It almost made me nauseous at the sight.

Christian's eyes were dark and soulless. They changed slightly when he saw me but they were still frightening.

"Alexander is in Washington state. I have an address. We'll be leaving tomorrow." Christian said coldly and then walked upstairs to our room.

I look at my sisters. Kendra looks like she's seen a ghost and Jen just looks mad as hell.

"What the hell happened?" Trey asks, "why do y'all look like you've seen a horror movie?"

"Because I did." Jen says calmly. "The dumb idiot who was already dying decided it was okay to tell Christian that he's sorry that he's dying because he really wanted to taste Kennedy before he left this Earth. And boy..... not only did Christian empty the clip in him. He dismembered his body into small pieces. Then poured gasoline on the remains and lit it on fire."

"That's nothing new." Tony says plainly

"I guess his reputation is true." I say under my breath

"Kennedy come here for a minute please?" I hear Christian shout from upstairs.

Hesitantly I walk upstairs to join him.

Once I make it to the room I see that he's sitting on the balcony with a glass of whiskey in his hand.

I walk over to him and sit on his lap. The weeks prior to the events that took place tonight I think we've had sex every single night. He even brought out handcuffs the last time.

"You called?" I say looking at him.

My heart breaks a little looking at him. He looks tired and I know it's because he wants to keep me safe.

"Yea I wanted to update you on Zack and Fatima. They are still in Poland handling affairs, but they're coming back in a few days."

"Why didn't you call them over here to help with Alex?"

"Zack has dealt with enough trauma from Alex. So I'm purposely keeping them away."

"Christian what's bothering you?" I asked as I can feel his fingers dig into my thigh.

"Alex has to die without question, but the first time I almost died, and the second time you almost died. I don't want either of us to leave Washington dead, but the idea of you dying is making me freak out a little." He says as his knee starts bouncing.

"You have anxiety?" I ask

"I used to when my mom was alive. I'd get anxiety attacks whenever my father would beat me for doing something wrong. This is the first time in years that I feel anxious. I guess I've never cared about anyone enough."

I kiss him lightly on the lips, "we'll be fine love." I reassuringly say

He remains quiet.

Looking at the night sky a shooting start passes by. I don't believe in wishing on stars but tonight I make my first wish.

A part of me is nervous, but the rest of me I ready to kill. I'm ready to live my life without fear of Alex hunting me.

"Just promise me that I get to kill him Christian."

Christian looks at me for a minute studying me, finally he nods, "I promise my love."