Chapter Three

Kiyoomi clutched the edge of the sink in front of him. He looked stoically at his expression in the mirror.

He didn't want to dare look at the back of his burning shoulder.

He didn't want anything to hint to him that Atsumu wasn't going to be his soulmate.

He didn't want to know.

Not yet.

~~~

Kiyoomi couldn't be more thankful for the later game schedule with the MSBY Black Jackals. It allowed him to sleep in, as well as get more practice before the games. If there was one thing he hated, it was waking up before the sun to get to a game.

He rolled over to face Atsumu's side of the shared bed, the sun blaring through the windows on the same side of the room. Kiyoomi had officially decided to agree to move in with Atsumu in the Hyogo Prefecture of Japan about two weeks ago. He knew Atsumu wanted to be closer to his family, so naturally, Kiyoomi agreed to live with Atsumu there. He didn't care where he lived as long as it was with his soulmate.

He squinted through the morning light, propping himself up on his forearms. Atsumu was no longer on his side of the bed, so Kiyoomi sat up, assuming he probably just went on a run.

Kiyoomi ran a hand through his disheveled hair before rubbing his tired eyes. He stood up and quickly made the bed before exiting the small room.

When he reached the kitchen of their small house, Kiyoomi was shocked to see Atsumu standing in the kitchen.

Atsumu turned around to face Kiyoomi.

But something was off.

He looked tired. Exhausted.

He was never tired.

Kiyoomi stopped, not daring to step any closer. He didn't want to get sick before a game.

"Are you feeling okay, Atsu?" He watched as Atsumu clutched the glass in his hands tighter.

"Of course! Better than ever, Omi," Atsumu smiled but Kiyoomi didn't trust it. Before stepping any closer, he grabbed a face mask from the table at the opening of the kitchen and placed it on his face.

He walked closer and put the back of his hand on Atsumu's forehead.

It was warm.

"Atsu, you're warm," Kiyoomi reached over the shorter blond, opening the cabinet above him and pulling out the thermometer.

Kiyoomi placed the thermometer against Atsumu's forehead and waited a moment before a number showed up.

100.2 degrees.

Kiyoomi sighed, taking a step back. "You have a fever."

Atsumu cursed under his breath as Kiyoomi handed him a face mask.

He wouldn't be able to play in the match later today.

"I'll tell coach," Atsumu groaned, slowly walking to the living room before slumping onto the couch.

Kiyoomi took the time to sanitize everything from the thermometer to his hands before joining Atsumu by the couch.

He sat on the arm of the couch, running a hand through Atsumu's hair as Atsumu contacted the coach of their team.

"Fuck," Atsumu tilted his head back to meet Kiyoomi's eyes. "I really wanted to play today."

"I know babe, I'm sorry," Kiyoomi sighed, sympathetic for his soulmate. Tonight was supposed to be one of their biggest games of the season so far, and he knew how much Atsumu had been looking forward to it. "Just promise me you'll get some rest today, okay?"

Atsumu nodded and curled up next to the arm of the couch, leaning his head against Kiyoomi's torso.

"You're probably hungry. I'll make you something," Kiyoomi offered, sliding off the edge of the couch and making his way back to the kitchen.

~~~

It was highly evident to the entire team that something was off without their setter.

Many substitutions took place throughout the game as the coach tried every combination of players possible to give them the lead. The opposing team quickly realized how off-balance the other team was and began to take advantage of it, turning the game in their favor.

The Tachibana Red Falcons were also a part of the division one category of Japan's volleyball leagues. They weren't the most competitive team that they had ever faced, the Black Jackals has greater rivalries with other teams. But any other team from Japan was automatically a great enemy.

It was the third set of the game. The first had gone to the Red Falcons, but the second was won by the Black Jackals. This set, however, was falling largely in favor of the opposing team.

Kiyoomi sighed to himself, tired of the game. He just wanted to get home and check on Atsumu. But unfortunately, that was impossible now.

The score was 20-24 in the third set. It was easy to predict that the game would go to the Red Falcons in the end.

Kiyoomi was proven right a moment later when the opposing team served an ace that Inunaki, the libero of the team, was unable to receive.

A collective groan came from his team as the winning team started their celebrations.

"Alright everyone, line up," The captain of MSBY called over the members on the bench and lined up the team by the net. The other team followed, lining up on the other side of the net. The teams shook hands before turning to the different sides of the court and thanking the spectators of the game.

As Kiyoomi turned to the different sides of the stadium, one particular spectator stood out to him. One blond that he would forever be able to find despite the amount of people.

What the hell was Atsumu doing here?

Kiyoomi watched as Atsumu's eyebrows raised in a smile, his lips blocked by the white face mask tight on his nose.

Kiyoomi smiled back, grateful for the support, but confused as to why he would have shown up if he was sick.

Kiyoomi's team quickly made their way out of the gymnasium once the thank you's had been said. Most of the team waited out in the hallway, eagerly awaiting their family members and friends. Kiyoomi was included in the bunch.

He craned his neck, looking down the hallways full of people. He hated being in situations like these, and desperately wanted to stand in a corner and wait for everyone to file out before following himself. But he was afraid that Atsumu wouldn't be able to find him if he did. So instead he stayed close to his team, tightening his mask around his nose.

Moments later, Kiyoomi watched as the familiar blond emerged from the hallway, his grey haired twin following suit.

Atsumu smiled and ran up to his team the moment he spotted them. The moment they say him, the teams mood instantly changed.

"Hey, hey! Where were ya today?" Bokuto grinned, pulling Atsumu into a tight hug. Kiyoomi winced at Bokuto's action. How could someone possibly be so comfortable with hugging someone who was obviously sick?

"I wasn't feeling too good," Atsumu laughed. "But I feel a lot better now. I wish I could have played with you guys."

"We sure did miss you out there," Meian shook Atsumu's hand firmly, before Atsumu stepped back.

Kiyoomi had stayed silent the whole time, allowing Atsumu to have the few moments with his team. Kiyoomi watch as Atsumu stepped back next to him, brushing their hands together. Kiyoomi entwined their fingers, sighing under his mask.

Atsumu continued to laugh with his teammates, making Kiyoomi feel a bit better about Atsumu's state.

Kiyoomi continued to check up on Atsumu throughout the day, checking his temperature multiple times and forcing him to rest.

But no matter how many times his temperature came back normal, or he insisted that he was feeling okay, Kiyoomi couldn't help but notice his slowed movements throughout the week.

I'm sure it's just a fluke.

These were the only words that Kiyoomi allowed to circulate through his busy mind throughout those days.