Chapter Five

The slight summer breeze provided the perfect environment for a late extra practice.

"High or low?"

Kiyoomi smirked, jogging up to the net. "You know how I like it."

Atsumu nodded and quickly set the ball with absolutely perfect trajectory and timing. Kiyoomi hit the volleyball with pinpoint accuracy, and it quickly plummeted, hitting the ground and bouncing back up in the yard.

"God, that was hot," Kiyoomi turned to face Atsumu, who was now sarcastically using his hand to fan himself off.

"Fuck off, Miya," Kiyoomi sneered, making Atsumu chuckle.

Atsumu took a step closer to Kiyoomi, standing on his toes to place a quick kiss against the latter's lips. "You know you love me."

Kiyoomi gasped and placed his hands up in surrender. "Oh, darn, you caught me." Kiyoomi laughed, slinging an arm around Atsumu's shoulder as he led him inside.

~~~

The Black Jackal's game against the Schweidan Alders was by far the biggest game of their season.

The team had been practicing extremely hard the past few weeks, all of the practices geared towards the victory they hoped to receive against the other Division One team. But even with all of the practice, the team was undoubtedly nervous stepping onto the court.

Their captain, Meian Shugo, had done his best to pump the team up, along with the help from outside hitters Hinata Shoyo and Bokuto Koutaro. It had worked to some extent, but a few of the players were still uneasy.

Kiyoomi especially.

But he wasn't nervous about the game, no. He was nervous about Atsumu.

While he hadn't gotten sick anymore since the game against the Red Falcons, Kiyoomi had noticed that he seemed tired the past few days. And this morning, when Atsumu woke up with a nagging headache, Kiyoomi made sure to check his temperature as a precaution. He didn't want to put Atsumu out on the court if he was sick.

But when he didn't have a fever, Kiyoomi just gave him a painkiller and told him to rest until the game. When he checked back up on him, Atsumu convinced him that he was feeling better and didn't see any reason to keep out of the game again.

The team showed up at Kemai Arena Sendai, the venue the match was being held, mid-afternoon. They were allowed twenty minutes to warm up before the game commenced.

Both teams lined up on their opposing sides of the court and bowed to the other team. The MSBY starters walked out to their positions on the court, Kiyoomi, and Atsumu amongst them.

The game started strong, with MSBY taking a quick lead. Kiyoomi had briefly been informed that the setter on the opposing team was an old teammate of Hinata Shoyo, so it was highly evident that he was giving his all. Not that he hadn't been to all of the other games, but it was this game in particular that he stepped up his skills.

The setter on the team, Kiyoomi also remembered, had been at the All Japan training camp back when he was in High School. Kageyama Tobio was the name of the setter if he could remember correctly.

The game was set at five sets. There was no doubt everyone would be exhausted after it, but there was also a chance that they could get it over within three.

If there was one thing the Black Jackals did well, it was to keep a confident attitude. Almost every player on the team was able to keep a brave face up, even during the toughest of games.

Kiyoomi admired that greatly from all his teammates.

The first set was awarded to the Black Jackals, greatly lifting their moods. Kiyoomi had kept a keen eye on Atsumu the entire first set, but he was beginning to relax seeing that he had regained the majority of his energy during the gameplay.

The loss of the second set was agreeably blamed on the messed up synchronized attack. Atsumu's timing had been a bit off in the set, almost as if he second-guess himself.

Kiyoomi tried to ignore it. But his thoughts were too loud. He began singing random songs to himself in hopes of freeing the thoughts from his mind.

It worked well into the third set, which was then won by MSBY. A player on the other team had unfortunately been taken out of the game due to an ankle injury, throwing off the momentum from the opposers. The Black Jackals used this to their advantage, winning them the first set.

One more set and it would be over.

The fourth set didn't start as strong as the first, as Kiyoomi's team quickly observed how adaptable the Alders team was once a new player was subbed in. Kiyoomi had remained in the back row for the majority of the game, but it provided him the prime environment to show off his skills.

As the set went on, the score went back and forth, the Alders in the lead, and then the Black Jackals, and on and on. The teams were forced to go into a deuce once the scores had grown high enough. The teams continually played, until eventually, Bokuto was able to perfectly spike one of Atsumu's serves, and win the final point of the game.

Immediately, the crowd and the Black Jackals erupted in celebration. Trash-talking could be heard between players from Kiyoomi's team and the opposing, as the rest of the Black Jackals pumped fists in the air in celebration. Kiyoomi quickly threw on a face mask, knowing that more people would most likely be joining them on the court.

Kiyoomi made his way over to Atsumu, who was standing near the middle of the court.

He looked lost.

Immediately concerned, Kiyoomi quickened his pace over to the blond. Kiyoomi put his hands on Atsumu's shoulders, steadying his swaying body.

"Atsu'? Are you okay?" Atsumu finally lifted his gaze from where it had previously been on the gym floor, to meet Kiyoomi's eyes. Kiyoomi finally took into account how tired Atsumu's eyes looked.

Atsumu shivered under Kiyoomi's touch. "Sakusa?" he croaked, his voice weak.

Sakusa? He never calls me that.

"Atsumu, what's going on? Are you okay?" Fear was growing in Kiyoomi's stomach as Atsumu began swaying more.

Kiyoomi watched as Atsumu took a shallow breath. A wheeze. "O-omi, I don't feel go-"

Kiyoomi gasped as Atsumu fell forward, collapsing in his arms. His body went limp after a moment.

"Atsu'? Atsumu! Atsumu, wake up!" Kiyoomi slowly bent down, lying Atsumu on the gym floor, his hands shaking vigorously. "Help!" Kiyoomi finally realized that people had grown quiet around him. "Someone get help!"

The onlookers listened to Kiyoomi's pleas, instantly running off to get help. Kiyoomi stayed at Atsumu's side, constantly looking, listening, and waiting, for anything that would show that Atsumu was still with him.

Kiyoomi grabbed Atsumu's hand in his, feeling helpless as he watched Atsumu's labored breaths, waiting for help to arrive. That was when he saw a dark bruise on Atsumu's forearm.

Tears were forming in his eyes and his vision became blurry.

What is happening? Why couldn't I see this coming? Why didn't I do something?

Kiyoomi continued to plead for Atsumu to wake up but was left on the gym floor until help finally arrived, and Atsumu was taken away from him.