Chapter One

"'Tsumu," Osamu's voice was sympathetic. "I see the way you look at him. Just tell him how you feel."

"But what if he rejects me?" Atsumu looked down at his shoes, shifting his weight back and forth on his feet. He didn't want to know any sort of feeling like that.

Osamu sighed in front of him. "You've never talked about someone the way you talk about him. And god, you should hear how much he talks about you."

Atsumu looked up, a new hope rising in his chest. "Really?"

"Really. Now go," Osamu gave his brother a quick shove, leading him out the door.

Atsumu skid a heel into the ground, stopping Osamu's momentum.

"What is it now-"

Atsumu looked at his brother and smiled.

"Thank you, 'Samu."

~~~

Kiyoomi Sakusa was never one to fall in love easily.

Falling in love put him in a weird position. Whether it introduced more unneeded germs into his life, or it was just another thing to distract him from his growing volleyball career, the thought didn't sit well with him.

Until he met one by the name of Atsumu Miya.

Kiyoomi had grown to love every part of this blond nuisance, from his ragged hair to his narcissistic personality. His bright personality was the perfect balance for Kiyoomi's reserved one.

But the chances of the small phrase etched into the back of his right shoulder belonging to Atsumu?

They were close to none.

They could belong to anyone in this germ-filled world.

And that terrified Kiyoomi.

But here the day had arrived when he would finally find his soulmate. Someone would say the four words etched into his shoulder, and they would be his soulmate.

Your hair smells nice.

Kiyoomi was at a loss for what could bring up a conversation about his hair. But he would soon find out.

There was only so much time in the day. So instead of worrying about the possibilities of his soulmate, Kiyoomi attempted to distract himself with the current volleyball practice.

"Sakusa! Get your head back in the game!" Sakusa visibly winced at his coach's yell as he reset his stance to regain stability.

He helped to receive the volleyballs that were spiked over the net as the other half of his team worked on their spiking drills.

"Switch!"

Kiyoomi reluctantly obeyed his coach and slowly walked over to the other side of the net to work on his spikes.

Kiyoomi watched as Atsumu continuously set the balls to different sides of the court, amazed.

The precision that went into something like a set was one that Kiyoomi knew he would never master as well as Atsumu had. But he didn't mind. Wing spiking was much more fun in his opinion.

"Alright, Omi! Here's one you'll like," Kiyoomi narrowed his eyes as the ball was set, before sprinting forward, jumping, and hitting the volleyball firmly into the other side of the court.

His feet hit the ground with a small thud as he felt a hand on his shoulder. Startled, he quickly looked up to meet Atsumu's amber eyes.

The eyes that spoke to him so clearly. The eyes that knew he wasn't himself even though he hadn't spoken. A constant form of reassurance.

Are you okay?

Kiyoomi quickly nodded, immediately registering Atsumu's worried face. Kiyoomi didn't want to place worry on Atsumu's shoulders, so he hoped that his quick cover-up would be enough to convince him that he was okay.

Kiyoomi tried to keep his head up the rest of his practice. The practice was barely over two hours, but to Kiyoomi it felt like two decades.

When the coach finally declared the practice over, Kiyoomi didn't wait for the rest of his teammates to run over to the bench and grab his belongings.

Quickly slipping on his MSBY team jacket and normal black face mask, Kiyoomi shuffled out of the large practice gym and over to his small black car.

He threw his bags into the backseat of the car before opening the door on the driver's side.

While he waited for Atsumu to come out of the gym, Kiyoomi checked the time on his phone.

9:37 PM.

Less than three hours left in one of the longest days of his life. And he had yet to hear those four magical words.

Kiyoomi watched as Atsumu emerged from the practice gym moments later. He quickly made his way over to the car, completing a similar routine to Kiyoomi's, setting his bags in the backseat before opening the passenger door.

Atsumu sat down, remaining silent as Kiyoomi started the car. As Kiyoomi's hand reached for the gearshift, Atsumu reached over and placed a hand on top of his, stopping him from completing the action.

"We're not going anywhere until you tell me what's wrong, Omi."

Kiyoomi dared to meet Atsumu's concerned eyes. But he couldn't find the words to explain the means for his anxious state.

How could you tell the person you've dated for over two years that it might be over?

Kiyoomi hadn't noticed that Atsumu had entwined their fingers in his lap until Atsumu gave his hand a small squeeze.

"Please talk to me."

Kiyoomi looked down at their tangled hands and sighed.

"It's nothing, Atsu'," Kiyoomi still didn't make eye contact. "Just tired."

Kiyoomi shrugged his shoulders as he felt a hand along the back of his neck, and a thumb tilt his chin up so that he was making eye contact with the blond in front of him.

Atsumu's eyes sparkled in the dim light of the moon. The sight forced a blush to spread across Kiyoomi's face.

He hoped his mask would hide it.

"You're sure that's all?" Atsumu asked.

Kiyoomi nodded.

Atsumu leaned forward, pressing a kiss to Kiyoomi's forehead. He put his hand around the taller male's neck to angle him down so that he could kiss the head of the curly-haired male. "Promise?"

Kiyoomi nodded once more, Atsumu's lips never leaving his head.

They stayed like this for a moment longer, breathing in the scent of each other. The only calm moment Kiyoomi had received over this anxious day.

But of course, the calm was never going to last.

Kiyoomi felt Atsumu's breath on his hair as he pulled away, mumbling the single sentence that would make Kiyoomi's heart sink into his churning stomach.

"Mmmm, your hair smells nice."