Chapter Ten

"Your hair is really soft, Omi," Atsumu pondered, running a hand through Kiyoomi's dark hair. He twisted a few strands around his fingers as Kiyoomi slumped his back against Atsumu's chest.

"Mmm, thanks," Kiyoomi hummed. Kiyoomi pulled their favorite blanket over their legs.

"Do you care if I do something to it?"

"Depends on what your definition of 'do something' is."

Atsumu thought for a moment. "Can I braid it?"

Kiyoomi quirked an eyebrow. "You know how to braid hair?"

"You don't?"

"Whatever," Kiyoomi rolled his eyes as Atsumu began the braid. Kiyoomi's hair hadn't been cut in a while, leaving his bangs longer than normal. But that granted Atsumu another option.

"Actually, I've got a better idea," Atsumu smirked, wiggling himself to a position beside Kiyoomi instead.

He grasped Kiyoomi's hand, pulling him off the couch.

"What are you doing?" Kiyoomi asked, skeptical of Atsumu's plans.

"Trust the process," Atsumu winked before leading him to the bathroom.

Atsumu dug through a few drawers for a moment before grabbing a pair of scissors. He opened and shut them a few times as fear grew on Kiyoomi's face.

"What have I gotten myself into?" Kiyoomi sat on the counter as Atsumu began cutting. He intricately snipped the curly hair, leading it into a pattern that would hopefully deem reasonable in Kiyoomi's opinion.

When he finished, he set the scissors down and pulled Kiyoomi off of the counter.

Kiyoomi was undoubtedly nervous as he turned around to face his reflection. But when he met his own eyes in the mirror, he was surprised.

"Damn, Atsu'," Kiyoomi ran a hand through his hair, untangling a few of the knotted curls. "It looks great."

"Told ya," Atsumu crossed his arms with an 'I told you so' grin. "Always trust the process."

Kiyoomi chuckled, wrapping an arm around Atsumu's waist and pulling him closer to place a kiss on his cheek.

~~~

It didn't take very long for Kiyoomi to grow used to the new schedule that had become his life.

He hated having to leave Atsumu for anything, volleyball included. Atsumu had been unable to play since his diagnosis, but to Kiyoomi's best knowledge, once he was strong enough again and got the "okay", he'd be allowed to play again.

So now, every day that Kiyoomi didn't have volleyball practice, he had been able to take Atsumu back and forth from the hospital for his treatments. But when he did have practice, Osamu or Suna would stop by and pick Atsumu up. Kiyoomi would just meet Atsumu at the hospital after practice.

Lately, however, Atsumu had been going to more frequent appointments with the doctor who specialized in Atsumu's form of treatment. And this appointment, in particular, Kiyoomi had been asked to attend as well.

A nagging worry grew in the pit of Kiyoomi's stomach throughout practice. He knew that his team would quickly pick up on how off he was, but lately, they had given him some slack knowing what his home life consisted of in the present.

He was uneasy walking out of practice and to his small car.

What if it's something bad? What if it got worse?