Chapter Nine

"Omi-Kun, c'mere," Atsumu smiled, pulling the crying male in front of him into a hug. "Hey, calm down, it's okay," Atsumu cooed as Kiyoomi leaned into his touch. "I'm right here."

Kiyoomi took shaky breaths as he leaned his head into Atsumu's shoulder, grateful to have someone's arms around him to ground his shaking body.

His body settled at the feeling of Atsumu running a hand through his curly locks of hair. His breaths began to return to their normal rhythm as Atsumu rubbed circles onto his back.

"There we go. It's all okay," Atsumu whispered into Kiyoomi's hair, his breath tickling his forehead. Kiyoomi slowly pulled away as Atsumu used his hands to cup Kiyoomi's face in his. He used a thumb to wipe a tear off of Kiyoomi's face and kissed the tip of his nose. "Are you okay now?"

Kiyoomi nodded, using the back of his hand to wipe the rest of the tears off his face.

"We all have bad days," Atsumu enveloped Kiyoomi in another hug, this time shorter than the first. "It'll be better tomorrow." Atsumu smiled, as he made eye contact with Kiyoomi again. "Alright?"

Kiyoomi nodded. "Thank you."

"Of course, Omi. I love you, ya know."

"Love you, too."  Atsumu smiled at Kiyoomi's words, pushing himself forward to meet Kiyoomi's lips.

Kiyoomi could not have been more grateful for how lucky he had gotten when it came to someone constantly showing him unconditional love every day.

He couldn't help the inevitable smile that formed on his lips as the thought crossed his mind.

~~~

Atsumu's chemotherapy treatments started just days after the treatment process was put in place.

But already, just after two days of treatment, Atsumu was looking better. His normal smile had almost completely returned to his face, although the dark circles remained prominent under his amber eyes.

"How was practice?" Atsumu asked the moment Kiyoomi stepped into the room. The sounds of longing in his voice made Kiyoomi wince inside, but he managed to keep a smile on his face.

"It was okay," He shrugged. "I missed my setter." Kiyoomi had missed three practices in the time he had spent at the hospital for Atsumu, but he was lucky his coach was flexible and understanding of Atsumu's condition. And as lots of Kiyoomi and Atsumu's teammates had also taken practices off to visit Atsumu, the coach had even stopped by once to visit Atsumu in the hospital and send hope. "How are you feeling today?"

"Better," Atsumu smiled. Kiyoomi slid into a chair across from Atsumu's. "Tired," He said after a moment.

Kiyoomi frowned. "Do you just want to get some rest after you're done? I can head home after-"

"No," Atsumu stopped him mid-sentence.

"Wha-"

"I don't want you leaving. I don't want to be here alone," A newfound fear was heard in Atsumu's voice. Nodding, Kiyoomi grasped Atsumu's hand.

"Alright," He smiled. "I promise I won't leave."

Atsumu looked into Kiyoomi's eyes, the fear from a moment ago had dissipated. But his gaze was quickly averted when a knock was heard at the door. Kiyoomi let go of Atsumu's hand and stood up to open the door.

The same doctor that had been in charge of Atsumu's treatments walked into the room, a smile on his face. He hummed to himself as he walked over to Atsumu's IV stand and adjusted a few things before turning to meet the confused faces of Kiyoomi and Atsumu.

"Good news!" The doctor's grin grew on his face. Hope filled Kiyoomi's ears as the doctor spoke again. "While Miya-San has only been on the chemo treatments for about a week now, we are already beginning to see much improvement. Depending on his condition tomorrow, we may be able to send him home."

Kiyoomi's breath hitched as he averted his gaze to Atsumu, who was already on his. Kiyoomi listened in to the doctor's next words carefully.

"The chemo schedule will stay the same, three times a week until further notice," the doctor's face was more serious now. "I'm sure you can get him here for it."

Kiyoomi bobbed his head, not necessarily sure how his schedule would work now, but that was a worry for later.

"I hope this news can lift your moods after the past few weeks," The doctor's face reverted to its original grin as he turned to exit the room. "Your treatment only has around a half-hour more, Miya-San," Atsumu nodded in the direction of the man by the IV. "You know how to contact me with any questions or concerns."

The doctor made a hasty exit out of the room, shutting the door behind him. Kiyoomi smiled in Atsumu's direction. "Another step in the right direction."

Atsumu grinned back at Kiyoomi as Kiyoomi took his hand in his own and squeezed it.

"Another step in the right direction," Atsumu repeated, squeezing his hand back.

~~~

It ended up being three more days before Atsumu was able to return home, due to the fever that spiked the day after the news. Nevertheless, Atsumu was home now, and Kiyoomi couldn't be happier.

The day Atsumu came home, most of the day was spent in his bed. He was uneasy when it came to the change of pace from the hospital to home, but Kiyoomi was supportive the entire time and provided Atsumu with anything he needed at any given time.

Eventually, Atsumu had fallen asleep later in the afternoon, allowing Kiyoomi to finally adjust his schedule to figure out how he would get Atsumu to the hospital for treatments every day.

He was able to successfully contact Atsumu's brother and was also given the number of the mystery brunet from the hospital. From this, Kiyoomi was able to learn that the boy, who was said to go by Suna, was one of Atsumu's old teammates from high school. Kiyoomi was now greatly appreciative of the help from his new and old friends.

The sound of faint footsteps was heard down the hallway, so Kiyoomi quickly looked up from his phone. Sure enough, Atsumu was standing in the doorway. He leaned up against the door frame, his body too tired to hold him up very well. Kiyoomi stood up.

"Hey, Atsu'. How'd you sleep? Is there anything you need?" Kiyoomi's voice was sympathetic. He waited for Atsumu to answer but one never came. Atsumu simply shook his head and wrapped his arms around his torso as if he was in pain.

Kiyoomi was sure he was.

Kiyoomi walked over to Atsumu and wrapped his arms around the latter's small frame. "Shhh, It's okay, baby." Kiyoomi's heart shattered at the sound of Atsumu's soft cries. "If there is anything I can do to help you right now, please tell me, Atsu'. I can't bear seeing you like this."

Atsumu pulled away taking Kiyoomi's hand and leading him back into the kitchen. He opened up one of the cabinets and pulled out a bottle of painkillers.

"Are you allowed to take those?" Kiyoomi was skeptical. He didn't want to put Atsumu at any risk even if it was just taking a painkiller.

Atsumu lightly nodded his head, popping two of the pills into his mouth. Kiyoomi handed Atsumu a prefilled glass of water that he had been planning on delivering to Atsumu anyway.

With a gulp, Atsumu swallowed the pills and wiped the sides of his mouth. Atsumu slumped back into Kiyoomi, allowing Kiyoomi to support his weakened body.

Kiyoomi helped to lead Atsumu back into the bedroom. He helped Atsumu get situated again before turning towards the door, stopping when he felt a hand grab his.

"Stay," Atsumu pleaded. Immediately nodding, Kiyoomi slid into bed next to him. Once Kiyoomi was laid next to him, Atsumu used his strength to crawl on top of Kiyoomi and lay his head on his chest.

In response, Kiyoomi placed his hands on Atsumu's back and rubbed small circles.

Anything that would make the hurt boy in his arms feel any better, he would gladly do.