Chapter Twelve

The morning sun peaked through the window as Kiyoomi turned over in bed. His eyes met the back of Atsumu's head, his faux blond hair jutting out in all directions. Kiyoomi laughed to himself, knowing that his hair probably looked much worse from the front.

Propping himself up on his forearms, Kiyoomi leaned over and placed a kiss on Atsumu's cheek. He watched as Atsumu's stirred for a moment before settling into a deep sleep. Kiyoomi slid out of the bed, doing his best to creep down the hallway without making too much noise.

When he reached the kitchen he opened the fridge, pulling out a few things to warm up for breakfast. He began preparing the meal, turning his back to the hallway behind him. As he heated some of the food on the stove, he felt a pair of arms wrap around his waist.

"Good morning," Kiyoomi smiled as Atsumu squeezed Kiyoomi's waist harder, resting his forehead between Kiyoomi's shoulder blades.

"Mornin'," Atsumu mumbled into Kiyoomi's back.

Kiyoomi turned off the stove in front of him. "How'd you sleep?"

Atsumu hummed, and Kiyoomi gathered this as his way of saying "good". Atsumu took his arms off from around Kiyoomi's waist, letting him move with the hot pan in his hands. Kiyoomi split the portions before turning and handing Atsumu a plate. Atsumu gratefully took it, chopsticks ready in hand. Leaning against the counters, the two hungrily ate their food in silence.

When they finished, Atsumu helped to clear over the dishes.

"Omi?"

"Hmm?"

"Do we have anything going on today?" Atsumu asked, shutting off the water and turning to face Kiyoomi.

Kiyoomi shook his head. "Not that I know of. Why?"

Atsumu tilted his chin up to place a kiss against Kiyoomi's lips. "I've got an idea," he said, smirking. He grabbed Kiyoomi's hand and led him out of the kitchen.

~~~

"So, how ya holding up?" The second of the Miya twins set a hot cup of coffee down in front of Kiyoomi. The bustle of the small onigiri shop was just enough the keep the other customers from hearing the conversations between Kiyoomi and Osamu.

News had spread quickly once Atsumu had originally been diagnosed with cancer, but it spread even faster when it got out that he only had around six months left. Numerous gifts had been delivered to their house from friends, family, and fans. Kiyoomi and Atsumus' neighbors had been nice enough to provide meals and gift cards for the family as it was harder for Atsumu to make himself food when Kiyoomi wasn't home.

Sure, it was a nice gesture, but it was just another reminder to Kiyoomi that his time with Atsumu was running out.

He picked up the cup of coffee and held it to his lips, taking a moment to breathe in the bitter aroma before taking a sip. Setting the cup back down, he didn't bring his eyes back up to the grey-haired twin.

Instead, he shrugged as his answer to Osamu.

"I'm sorry, Osamu. I'm being selfish," Kiyoomi cleared his throat, finally daring to look back up at Osamu. "You're his brother. I should be asking you how you're doing."

The glint of tears was visible in Osamu's gentle eyes. "You have nothing to worry about, Sakusa-San-"

"Kiyoomi. We're practically family, Osamu. There's no need for honorifics," Kiyoomi interrupted. He was tired of Osamu acting so professionally in front of him. He didn't like how the name "Sakusa" sounded anymore, now that he couldn't give it to anyone.

Osamu nodded. "Alright, Kiyoomi," Osamu said the word as if it was foreign, but Kiyoomi barely noticed. "There is no reason to worry about me. Yes, this is hard for me to cope with," Osamu took a moment to take a deep breath. "Of course, I love my brother, he's been with me since day one."

Osamu's small laugh was heart-wrenching.

"But I know how much you love him as well. You are all he'd ever talk about when he returned home from practice. He's adored you since he first laid eyes on you, Kiyoomi," Osamu was crying now but was surprisingly good at keeping it quiet. Kiyoomi felt the tears welling in his eyes as Osamu spoke. "Sorry," He whispered, wiping tears off of his face.

The chatter of the shop continued around them as Kiyoomi sat with Osamu in almost total silence. The only sound was the occasional sniffle from either of them.

"Please keep him comfortable for as long as possible," Osamu whispered finally. "I don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep visiting him. I can't let my last memories of him be where he's dying."

Kiyoomi nodded, completely understanding of Osamu's wishes.

"I promise," Kiyoomi said, a tear falling from his eye.

Out of the corner of his eye, Kiyoomi watched as Suna walked over to their table. He bent down to Osamu's eye level and whispered something in his ear.

Osamu sighed. "Alright. I'll be right there," Osamu wiped another tear from his face as Suna kissed the top of his head before heading back the way he came.

After a moment, Osamu stood up. "Thank you for stopping by," Osamu did his best to smile. "Tell 'Tsumu I said "hi"," He smiled bittersweetly.

"Of course," Kiyoomi bowed his head, not bothering to attempt a smile as Osamu walked away.

Kiyoomi wasn't sure if he'd be able to smile regularly again.