Chapter Six

Atsumu shot up in bed, highly aware of the blood running from his nose. Although the room was dark, the blood was darker and could be seen clearly against his pale hand.

Atsumu quietly tried to exit the bed, a desperate attempt not to wake the curly-haired male that had slept next to him. He snuck off to the bathroom and squinted as he turned on the light.

This had been his third bloody nose this week. And it was only Thursday.

The last two had taken at least twenty minutes each to stop, but Atsumu could already tell that this one would be the longest. He grabbed a handful of tissues and pinched his nose, allowing the blood to drain.

He stayed like this for fifteen minutes until he was forced to get more tissues. The bleeding took another 30 minutes to stop.

And to Atsumu's best understanding of what he had researched, that wasn't good. He needed to see a doctor. Or at least tell Kiyoomi.

Shit. He hadn't told Kiyoomi.

But he also knew that Kiyoomi would send him to the doctor immediately. And the truth was, he didn't want to. He didn't want to admit to anyone, not even himself that he had been feeling horrible for weeks. It wasn't the type of sickness he would feel when getting a cold, no. This was different. But Atsumu didn't know how to describe it.

And he didn't want to worry Kiyoomi.

Once the blood had fully stopped, Atsumu quickly cleaned up any evidence before stopping to look at his reflection in the mirror. The tank top he had worn to bed fully exposed his arms, and that was when he spotted the first bruise. It wasn't big, but it was very purple.

Maybe he had bumped into something?

He walked back to the room and slowly crawled into the bed, lying away from Kiyoomi. He prayed that he had been quiet enough not to wake Kiyoomi, but he was soon proven wrong when he felt an arm around his waist.

"Is everything okay?" Kiyoomi's sleepy voice was always adorable, and Atsumu desperately wished he could enjoy it more.

"Yeah. Sorry for waking you," He whispered, regret filling his voice.

"Don't worry about it. G'night," Atsumu heard Kiyoomi sigh before burying his face in the back of Atsumu's neck. Atsumu stayed completely still the rest of the night, even after Kiyoomi fell asleep.

But Kiyoomi was the only one that successfully fell asleep that night.

~~~

Kiyoomi was forced to wait in the waiting room. No one went in or out of the room Atsumu was admitted to in the ICU.

Slumping against a wall, Kiyoomi buried his face in his knees.

He was terrified.

So there he sat, huddled tightly. He tried desperately to listen to the bustling noises of the loud hospital, but in the end, his thoughts prevailed louder than the failed distraction.

What is happening?

I should have seen something more was wrong. Why didn't I?

This is all my fault.

Tears begged to fall from Kiyoomi's eyes as he sat in his huddle. His body was shaking, his curly hair obstructing any view his blurred eyes allowed him. Every breath was shaky as Kiyoomi bit the inside of his facemask.

Kiyoomi was still like this when he heard some of his other teammates join him. Their chatter was hushed as Kiyoomi felt the eyes fall upon him.

But no one said anything to him. Not that he wanted to talk to anyone, but he desperately needed a distraction from his raging thoughts.