Chapter Fourteen

"Whatcha' up to, Atsu?" Kiyoomi asked, walking into his bedroom. Atsumu was sitting on their bed, furiously typing on the laptop in front of him. Kiyoomi tilted his head forward and dried his freshly showered hair with the towel in his hand.

"Why are elevator jokes so good?" Atsumu asked without looking up from the laptop in front of him. Kiyoomi straightened his posture and quirked an eyebrow.

"Huh?"

"Why are elevator jokes so good?" He asked again, this time looking up. His expression was blank. Extremely hard for Kiyoomi to read.

Kiyoomi stayed silent, confused.

"You seriously don't know?" Atsumu rolled his eyes with a smile. "Cause' they work on so many levels."

Atsumu burst out laughing at himself, but Kiyoomi just stood there, still confused.

"Okay, okay, okay, what about this one?" Atsumu scrolled down whatever he was looking at on the computer. "Ask me why I hate jokes about German sausages."

Smirking, Kiyoomi stepped closer to the bed and sat on the edge. "Why do you hate jokes about German sausages?"

"Cause' they're the 'wurst'," Atsumu began cracking up again as he put air quotes around the word 'wurst'. It took Kiyoomi a moment but eventually caught on. He allowed himself to chuckle lightly, pleasing Atsumu.

"Where are you finding these?" Kiyoomi slid next to Atsumu on the bed, finally daring to look over the blond's shoulder to find out what was hilarious to him. "Dad jokes? Seriously?"

Atsumu nodded. "They're hilarious! This one, for example, Where do you learn to make ice cream?"

Kiyoomi rolled his eyes again and laughed. "Where?"

"Sundae school," Atsumu laughed again, forcing Kiyoomi to join.

"You're hilarious," Kiyoomi sighed, resting his forehead on Atsumu's shoulder.

"I know, right? I should be a comedian."

"Mmm, absolutely."

~~~

Around three weeks later, Kiyoomi felt it would be best to move Atsumu permanently to the hospital. Atsumu's state had grown to the point where he was too weak to stand up on his own most days, and Kiyoomi couldn't stand watching him struggle as much as he was.

The day Atsumu was permanently moved to the hospital was devastating for Kiyoomi. He felt sick to his stomach looking into his house once more, knowing that when he returned, it would be alone.

Kiyoomi did his best to help situate Atsumu in the hospital but mainly was forced to stick to the side as the doctors busied themselves with multiple machines.

According to the doctors, every one of them had a special function to make Atsumu more comfortable. Kiyoomi would just have to trust that they would help.

The sterile smell of the hospital made Kiyoomi nauseous for the majority of the day, the bright sheets much too welcoming for a place so dark. Kiyoomi's heart wrenched with every needle that was entered into Atsumu's fragile body.

When the doctors had finally finished everything needed, Kiyoomi and Atsumu were left alone again. Kiyoomi slid into a seat next to Atsumu's bedside, taking one of Atsumu's hands in his.

It was mere moments before the soft wrap of knuckles could be heard on the opposite side of the door to Atsumu's room. Kiyoomi stood up and went to the door, slowly opening it.