Chapter Seven

"Happy birthday, Atsu!"

Atsumu smiled down at his bright phone screen, moonlight seeping through his small apartment building.

"Sorry I can't be there to celebrate. Miss you."

Atsumu looked down at his phone again as another text rolled across his screen. Of course, he was disappointed that Kiyoomi wouldn't be here for his 21st birthday, but he understood if Kiyoomi had to be somewhere else because of his family.

"Thanks, Omi. Miss ya." Atsumu sighed as he sat on the edge of his bed. It was only seven o'clock on this cold October morning, but Atsumu couldn't sleep. He slowly made his way to the kitchen, not minding if the floor creaked beneath him. No one else lived with him anyway.

He made himself a steaming cup of coffee, adding tons of sweeteners and creams.

It was the only way he ever drank his coffee.

Holding the scalding cup in his cold hands, he made his way over to the small living area of his apartment, plopping himself down on the side of the sofa closest to the large window. The sun was just barely beginning to rise, the amber sky taking the place of the navy. Atsumu had always been grateful for the window granted to him in his apartment. It provided the most magical view at any time of the day.

Atsumu took a sip of the hot coffee in his hands, cursing when it hadn't been cooled off enough. He set it down on the table next to him, turning his attention to his phone.

Dozens of notifications from several media platforms had wished him happy birthday, with multiple other stores offering him discounts on various products.

He was about to begin responding to the announcements when he heard a knock at his door. Atsumu stood up, confused. He hadn't been expecting anyone.

He walked up to the door, peering through the peephole. His jaw dropped when he saw the figure standing outside. He quickly unlocked the thick door, revealing the tall figure.

"Omi!" Atsumu grinned, throwing his arms around Kiyoomi's neck. Kiyoomi hugged him back tightly, burying his face in Atsumu's shoulder. "I thought you weren't coming?"

Kiyoomi pulled away, slipping his mask off his face to place a kiss against Atsumu's lips. "I'm just that good at lying. Happy birthday!" Kiyoomi smiled once more before enveloping Atsumu in another much-needed hug.

~~~

It was another eighteen hours before any friends or family were allowed to enter Atsumu's room.

Kiyoomi had stopped back at their house briefly to pack himself a bag of clothes and other items he might need. He had no idea how long Atsumu would have to stay in the hospital, and Kiyoomi had no intention of leaving him alone.

"We suggest one at a time," The doctor said, a solemn look appearing across his face. Kiyoomi caught Osamu's glance over in his direction. But Kiyoomi shook his head.

He felt it was right if Atsumu got to see his brother first.

"You go," Kiyoomi whispered in the direction of the second twin. Osamu gave him an Are you sure? look, and Kiyoomi nodded.

Osamu stood up, untangling his fingers from the brunet's next to him. He walked with his head down, leaving Kiyoomi and the mostly-unknown brunet alone.

Atsumu had been moved to a different ward in the ICU, still needing intensive care, just not as often. His room was at the corner of a hallway that was dimly lit, but this time, benches were present alongside the door to the room.