THIRTY ONE

'' The world's a little blurry
Or maybe it's my eyes
The friends I've had to bury
They keep me up at night ''

$$$ ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ―

At one side of the fight, Hanma was walking up to the group of defeated boys, a smirk on his face while his hands were getting ready in his pockets.
At the other side, Koko had finally realized that he wanted to be by Inui's side like a true friend and not the way he had been always; over loyalty towards Akane.
Together, they fought Waka and Benkei together, badly losing to them, the power gap being incredibly obvious.
Meanwhile, Pah had made his way towards Mikey, now standing in front of him, ready to fight.

''So are you sure about this? If you're gonna be on my side, you're betting on the 'wrong horse', y'know?'' Inui asked with a weak smile, weaker than Koko by the hits he had taken earlier.
''Only a true friend could ride on that 'horse', right?'' He replied, surprising Inui, as he snickered and clenched his fists.
''There's only one thing we can do...''
''Pray and scream for Yume.'' Koko finished Inui's sentence, as they both nodded at each other, sighing.
They took a few steps back, and with all the strength they had left, they screamed out Yume's full name, surprising the two guys in front of them, confusing them.
Yume, who was below Mikey and Pah, instantly heard her name be called out by her best friends, a signal they had set up as soon as they became friends.
If they ever got in trouble and Yume wasn't there, she promised all they had to do was scream her name and she would save them no matter what.
They had never used this, but Yume ran as fast as she could, leaving Kuma behind.
The confused boy chased after her, but Yume was too fast for anyone in that moment.
Her heartbeat was the only thing she could hear, the adrenaline and fear inside of her completely taking over.
Inui was kneeling weakly, his fist on the floor as he tried to get back up, but before he could his arm was placed around Yume's shoulders.
''We haven't lost yet.'' She said loudly, tears stinging in her eyes as Koko weakly stood by her side, hunched over.
''I knew you would come.'' He said with a soft smile, making her nod.
''Who do we have here?'' ''Our junior Baji Yume!''
''I will personally claim revenge over my friends and fellow members of the Black Dragons. Try your best if you can, old hags.'' She said with an angry tone, getting into fighting position as she shoved her two weakened best friends to a side, noticing that Waka and Benkei had already been tired out.

While everything was going down at one side, at the opposite Takemichi found himself by an injured Kakucho trying to stop a train, set on march as planned by Sanzu, who held a katana in his hand.
As the train approached the group of people, it suddenly stopped, allowing everyone to see Sanzu walking towards Takemichi with the weapon in his grip, a bruised face as everyone screamed at Takemichi in warning.
Yume, who had managed to take the legends in a swift fight due to their tiredness and age difference, along with Kuma's last minute help, was watching from afar in horror.

Takemichi started fighting, anger and sadness obvious from far away.
After all... Kakucho had died, murdered by Sanzu, and that wasn't easy to process for a childhood friend.
Yume couldn't help but run out of instinct, until a bike flashed past her at high speed, the blue and white hair she had known for a long time waving at her.
"Taiju." She mumbled out, watching him jump off his bike with an impulse, crashing it against the pink haired boy.
"Mitsuya. This uniform is too small." Taiju said out loud, Yume able to hear it as she finally arrived by her friends side, Kuma slightly behind as he took care of Koko and Inui, their arms over the big boy's shoulders, walking at a slow pace with surprised faces, none of them expecting to see Taiju.
Apparently, Mitsuya had contacted him, and Taiju didn't want to miss out on watching Takemichi fight Mikey.

"Second generation Tokyo Manji Gang sixth Division Captain, Shiba Taiju! I've got front row tickets to see Hanagaki beat Mikey!" He exclaimed, surprising his own little brother who gasped.
Absolutely everyone was in shock.
Taiju wasn't the type to follow orders.
"Captain... we've clashed once, so let me tell you one thing. There is no one that can beat Mikey... but you. So let's go! I'll open up a path for you towards Mikey!" Taiju exclaimed as he stood before Takemichi, bringing tears to his eyes as he stood up, taking Taiju's side.
"Alright! Let's go!" Takemichi exclaimed with his fists ready.
Yume watched with a proud smile as her eyes teared up, watching the boy she loved become a real man.
He had grown so much and so lovely in so little time. She was proud of him.
Now she stood between the crowd as she watched the two of them fight together, all alone, feeling useless and helpless.
Taiju's job was supposed to be done by her, yet she couldn't do anything.
What was wrong with her?

"GET OUTTA THE WAY!" Taiju screamed as he bashed and dashed through the crowd of Kanto, taking everyone down like a machine.
He was a monster.
"Amazing, Taiju! You're like a bulldozer!" Takemichi exclaimed in awe.
But before they could go any further, the legends stood in front of him, yet Yume was faster.
Sneakily, she ran behind them, waiting for their move first.
"You revived the Black Dragons, huh?" Waka said.
"But we won't allow you to reach Mikey." Benkei finished.
"I see, the first gens. Just a bunch of retired old men. You think you can beat me?!" Taiju asked confidently with a smirk, and Yume noticed this was a pointless attempt at defending him.
He wanted to fight, because he knew he would win.
She had nothing to do here.
"That spirit alone won't bring you victory, young'un." Benkei stated, yet Yume sighed.
Now she had to make an entrance.
Tapping him on the shoulder, she forced the duo to turn around in surprise, almost jumping in their place.
"Well, it won't, but I will bring him victory, so go on and fight, because whether you beat him or not, I'll be around like a vulture and take what is left of you." She said with a threatening glare, pushing them forward to Taiju, sending shivers down their back.
Taiju's gaze softened as he noticed the girl, yet he quickly switched it to his confident and crazy one he held during fights.
Having her by his side gave him extra confidence.
"Then let's do this, legends!" He said as he got in guard, waiting for the first hit to land on him while watching Yume step back to the sidelines.

Taiju was getting beaten by the duo, but Yume watched closely, and for a split second, she was able to get in Taiju's mind.
The day during the Christmas Eve conflict, the strength difference between Takemichi and Taiju was extreme, yet Takemichi was able to win.
This was his plan in this fight.
The key to this fight was playing time with resistance and tiring the duo that was already at their limit after Yume's ride with them.
Taiju screamed at Takemichi to run for Mikey while fighting, scared that he would try and step in instead.
"I got this." Yume screamed at Takemichi who flashed her a questioning look, not wanting to leave Taiju, yet it changed to a confident one as she reassured him.
He knew Taiju was in good hands.

Waka and Benkei were about to do some deadly combo, as Seiju was making it seem that way and everyone freaked out around them, sending a warning to Yume, yet she didn't move.
"You had quite the run-in with my cat and dog duo, didn't you? Left you all worn out. It's over, legendary duo!" Taiju exclaimed as he bashed their hands down to the floor, having them in his grasp after they attempted to attack him.
Both knocked out cold, and Taiju claimed victory.
Yume smiled in relief, watching as he walked closer to Takemichi, only to notice Sanzu was up and walking again, the katana in his hand and a clear target on sight.
Taiju had his back facing him.
Yume ran as fast as she could, grabbing a stone off the floor and throwing it at Sanzu as she screamed, distracting him enough to look back at her, catching Taiju's attention who turned around.
Yume leaped forward, grunting in hopes of reaching Sanzu who was caught in surprise, the katana falling by his side as Yume got on top of him, kicking it away.
She punched his face, but Sanzu was quick enough to grab the stone she had thrown and hit her on the head.
Her vision went blurry, and the last thing she saw was Taiju running towards her in slow motion.

This couldn't be the end to a girl like her... right?
She had so many things left to do, like visiting Keisuke, fixing things with Taiju, going to the karaoke with Inupi and Koko, helping Kuma with his schoolwork, and so many more.
But would life keep giving her so many chances?

A/N: so sorry for the late posting! i've been waiting for the manga to finish so i could adapt it to Yume's story, but here we are now! i hope you've been doing well <3