Chapter 3 - The Scavenger

Back down on Jakku, a masked figure was searching through the interior of one of the many desolated star destroyers for parts. After pulling off a panel, and trying to reach for a core, the figure resorted to using the Force to pull it out. In a moment, it flew into their gloved hand. The figure then turned back and climbed down the wall of the starship. Most of the interior of the destroyer was full of sand, very little of the gray floor was visible as far as the scavenger could see.

Once they stepped outside, and sliding down a steep sand dune the figure took off their mask. The person standing in the Jakku desert was a woman with light skin, hazel eyes, light brown hair and a set of triple buns on the back of her head. She took out her canteen and attempted to take a sip of water, feeling like she was on the verge of burning up. Only a few drops of water came out of it, disappointed, she continued to her swoop bike, where she had previously placed her metal quarterstaff in the sand. The swoop hovered gently above the sand, and once she put the core in a bag she carried across her shoulder, she sped off in the direction of Niima Outpost. The outpost was located not too far from her location, so she'd most likely get there by the late evening.

≜ ≜ ≜

Prior to arriving at Niima Outmost, Rey had refilled her canteen at one of the many oases in the desert. This was the result of the ecologists who resided in the city-states scattered around the planet. When she arrived at the Outpost, she noticed that it wasn't as populated as it usually was during the day. A few lights on metal poles illuminated the makeshift shops and the faces of disgruntled people, who either talked amongst one another, or gave a glance at the scavenger and continued to their vehicles.

The scavenger got off the bike, got her staff, and walked in the direction of a seller named Unkar Plutt, a crolute with light, saggy skin, and stubby fingers. Plutt also wore makeshift metal armor, only protecting the chest area. He also had a large, smushed-in nose.

"Ah, Rey!" Unkar said as he stood behind his post, waiting. "I was wondering if you'd show this time. And you're just in time, I was just about to leave for the day."

"Well, here I am." Rey said flatly.

"What have you brought for me this evening?"

"An Imperial core. That's all I know about it." Rey said as she handed it to Unkar.

Plutt looked at every part of the core closely before speaking again.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." Plutt said. "Do you ever get tired of selling me the same things?"

"That's all I can ever find out there!"

"Then I suggest you search harder out there." Unkar said indifferently. "Or. . ." He added, looking at Rey's bike.

"Don't you even think about it." Rey said in a threatening voice.

"Hmph, that's a shame. I would've paid you a ton of credits for it." Unkar said. "Perhaps with that you would've been able to find a home in one of the city-states out there."

"I don't care! You expect me to travel through that wasteland on foot?!" Rey shouted, drawing some attention to herself. "Now, pay me for that core!" She demanded.

"Are you sure you don't want portions?—" Unkar managed to ask before.

"Give me my credits." Rey ordered, glaring at Unkar now.

"Twenty." Unkar told her as he gave Rey her payment.

Rey stuffed all the credits into her bag and promptly left Niima Outpost. Headed in the northwest portion of the desert, Rey drove in the direction of a downed AT-AT laying on its side. This machine, once used as a weapon of destruction, now served as a makeshift, tranquil home for her.