𝑵𝒆𝒘 𝑹𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝑭𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅

Twelve

We waited for Johanna outside the Cathedral as she shared a chat with Ric by the doors. Morpheus was being bugged by Hettie while I was comfortably occupying the bench, finding comfort in hearing their overlapping conversations.

"She did seem possessed." Ric said, talking about the princess.

"She was. Love fucks you up." Johanna replied.

Ric smirked. "Your new man is not unfit."

I chuckled silently as I adjusted Morpheus's coat properly on my shoulders.

Johanna gazed upon us. "He's not my man. That gal is his lover. Besides, he's not even a man."

"What is he then?"

"He's Endless." Johanna walked away from Ric to get to us.

"I said the Sandman, and I meant the bleedin' Sandman," Hettie welcomed her before turning to Morpheus. "It's good to have you back, milord. Don't let her mess you about." She left after.

Johanna settled an inch away from me and faced Morpheus. "My gran used to tell me stories about you lot."

"I've known your family for centuries." Morpheus said.

"Then you know there's not one of us that can be trusted."

Morpheus and I stared at her, figuring out what approach we should use to negotiate with her. But she beat us to speaking up first.

"What do you want with me?"

"Something of mine came into your possession," He faced her fully. "A leather pouch filled with sand. I need it back."

"Oh, that was yours? Bought it at an estate sale. Didn't even manage to get the drawstrings open."

"That's a good sign. Do you know where it is?" I said.

Johanna shrugged. "No idea. It could be anywhere."

"We must find it."

"Must we? Why is that?"

"Because without it, my realm would cease to exist, and if dreams disappear," Morpheus glanced at me. "Then so will humanity."

"No offense, but... I could do without dreams for a while."

"On the contrary, I cannot. I cannot afford to lose my dream."

I looked down and reached for my ring again, aware that they were both looking at me and acting as if I was not.

Johanna sighed. "I haven't had a decent sleep in ages."

"Nor will you. Until we find the sand. We must go. Now." Morpheus insisted.

"Does this approach generally work for you? You just turn up and order people about?"

"Yes." Morpheus and I said in chorus.

"He's the King of the Dreaming. It's in his nature." I shrugged.

"All right. I'll help you find your sand."

Morpheus looked pleased. "Good."

"First thing tomorrow and I work alone."

"No."

"Don't want you and your friends following me all over London."

I furrowed my brows. "Friends?"

"Is that not your raven?" Johanna looked toward the direction next to me.