𝑭𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝑰𝒔 𝑰𝒏 𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑯𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒔

Thirty

I wasted no more time to flee from that place I was used to calling home.

Everyone condemned me for murdering Sorin and no one stood by me in my claim of innocence upon it, not even my bloody mother. Escaping the knights that were set off to seize me for the penance of death by hanging, as decreed by the King, I ventured to the land people deemed dark and terrifying.

Once I'd sought solace enough to ensure my safety, I traveled to another realm through slumbering with one thing on my mind: call on the golden-eyed creature who was the true villain of Sorin's terrors.

Perhaps the deepest parts of my consciousness designed the landscape of my dream land for I was brought in a shore of black sand and murky water ahead, combining with the dark sky bearing equally dark clouds thick enough to bring rain on the land below any moment now. I have no clue as to where I am but I did not care.

Burning with rage I cannot unleash when I was awake, I screamed at the top of my lungs, "I know you can hear me and I know you're here, keeping an eye - watching me from the distance knowing full well what you did to Sorin. Show yourself to me, you coward. I know it is me you're after and now here I am, seeking you out, vulnerable. Now come face me."

"I can now understand why the princeling was smitten with you."

Chills ran down my spine as the source of that deep voice came close right behind me. The voice sounded as if it was jesting me yet I was able to sense danger amidst it and something else I can't put my finger on. I opted not to decipher it any longer or even continue pondering about it when my anger erupted inside of me out of my control.

I never once tried to manipulate my own dream again until now that I have conjured a dagger in my left hand just as I turned to face the enemy I was aiming to come after.

"Like what you see?" A smirk grew on their face as they noticed the way my breath hitched a little once my eyes laid upon the sight of their pale, beautiful face and a pair of glistening golden eyes.

I did not let it falter me. I clenched my jaw and rested the tip of my blade on the base of their jaw. "The look I have is of contempt. Pretty faces do not faze me."

"Sure, darling, if that makes you sleep better. It's flattering to know you find me pretty, though."

I chose to ignore that. "Is your tauntings all I'll receive from you or will you also grace me with the privilege of knowing who the hell you are? And what the fuck are you exactly?"

"You could've just asked if you want to get to know me. But I have to say, I did like this little stunt with the knife. It's charming," They said, snatching my dagger with very little effort, making me take a step back. "I'm someone who wants to talk to you. It's confusing but I'm neither a girl or a boy. You need not know my name or who I am entirely, Katrien. It does not matter. What matters is what you want."

I scoffed. "I want you to pay for what you did for corrupting Sorin's mind, leading him to his death and the people condemning me for it."

"I'd willingly pay if it was me who was to blame for it. Think, darling. Was it me who brought forth the monster that took his life? No. All I did was talk to him about it."

"Clearly you underestimate the power of words, your words. You think little of your influence to another being and now you're saying you wish to talk to me. For what? To corrupt me too? I am not falling for whatever voodoo you have. I've spent years of my life toying with other people as per my mother's wish and I refuse to be a pawn of someone else's game."

They smiled. "But this is not a game nor am I toying with you. I simply wish to know what you desire."

"Nothing from you, is what I desire, but to seek-"