𝑰 𝑪𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒀𝒐𝒖

Thirty One

To say that the world has gone to chaos would be an understatement. When I woke up, after Morpheus or Dream or whoever he really is kicked me out of his realm just as he did to his sibling, I came to understand what he meant with the last words he had spoken to me.

That danger he said? It's graver than a mere break of the rift that's separating my realm with his. The once unseen veil that puts everything in its rightful place is now shattered, causing the two worlds to collide. And what happens when two different things mix when they should never be? Absolute chaos.

Nightmares that were alive terrorized the people, burned houses and establishments, wreaked havoc upon everything their eyes laid upon. Dreams, I assume they are, were fighting alongside few rational humans in order to restore peace. And there was me, who was nailed to where I was brought back by Morpheus, watching in horror the scene unfolding before me.

Now I admit this is my fault. I am to blame for all of this. I was insolent enough not to think first before approaching someone, a being like the lord of dreams, without caution. It was the only time I'd let my guard down completely and this is the price I'm bound to pay for it? It seems quite unfair.

I was amazed by his beauty like I was mesmerized and I was grateful for all the clarity he's provided for me about what I am that I forgot to be careful.

"What are you standing there for, lucid dreamer?" A girl with pink, massive fairy wings hovered before me and threw a baseball bat at me which I barely caught and put my attention to the right perspective. "Will you help us or not?"

"I will..." I blinked and held the weapon she handed me tightly.

She gave me a look of approval before beckoning me to follow her. Without thinking twice, I followed her lead.

Channeling all the rage I was locking in the depths of my soul, I fought off every doer of bad deeds that I passed by.

I am angry at these people for all the cruel things they've done to me. But I do not want this to be their fate - falling in the hands of creatures from the realm they'd only known because of me.

"I must say, I didn't think you'd fight this hard to save this realm. Considering all the people have done to you, of course." A voice that made my blood boil more resonated from my left side whilst I struck an enemy with my weapon on the right.

"This is my home, despite the way I've been treated and made to feel unwelcome here," I said, glancing at Desire sideways long enough to see their mischievous grin. "I don't expect you to understand that."

"You're right, I don't. I also do not understand how you fell for my repulsive brother's charm."

"I did not-"

"I saw it in your eyes, that inclination you're beginning to invest toward him."

Rolling my eyes, I decided to steer the matter away from their jests of nonsense. "Speaking of him, I can't tell if you're brave or foolish enough to still approach me after your brother banished you."

"This realm is outside his dominion, dear. Even with the breakage of the rift between your worlds, he doesn't have much power here. And I came to take advantage of that."

"You're an idiot," I said, frowning and facing them at last. "I will not shake your hand and join your side."

"Don't decide just yet. I haven't said my new bargain yet. As per what I witnessed here, what you're doing for your puny fellow humans, I think my offer will change your mind this time.