𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑽𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒙

Thirty Two

The first thing I did was find Morpheus when I took the reigns of control over my once wandering consciousness.

I found him in the Throne Room, clad in his updated pair of black suit, sitting on the steps, taking one leather bound book from the pile that is lined next to him. I kept my distance for a moment when I realized that what he was so engrossed with - enough not to notice my presence behind him - was a book of someone's dream history.

It seems I'm not the only one of us who has troubles with dreams. Being the King of the Dreaming, Morpheus does pay attention to the product of his realm's visitor's unconscious world. But of course, since the number of dreamers are increasing night by night, he barely keep track of a specific someone.

Yet, at that moment, he was studying one person's history of dreams. And it isn't mine.

"Is that Rose Walker's?" I couldn't help myself but speak out, stealing his attention from the pages he was once keeping his eyes on. I caught her name on the paper and suddenly, my interest was piqued.

Morpheus turned to me and his eyes followed as I make my way beside him, joining him where he sat. "You know of her, dearest?"

I nodded. "We've met. Once or twice. She's a lovely and lonely girl."

"Indeed," Morpheus said, shifting closer to me. "I am trying to understand why."

"If you wish to be alone, Morpheus, I could come back-"

His free hand found mine and within a moment, our fingers intertwined. "Stay. Please."

"This is new," I said and chuckled softly after. "I distinctly remember how you wish to be alone when you're 'working'."

"That was before you and I happened, and now I'm finding it quite hard to be apart from you," He said, staring in my eyes to convey that there was no trace of a lie in his words. "Besides, I could use your perspective in this whole Rose Walker endeavor. You're the greatest when it comes to understanding people."

"All right, I'm convinced enough to stay. Also, I was hoping we could talk after."

He nodded but didn't take his eyes off mine quite yet. "Is something the matter, dearest?"

"We shall discuss that later," I said, evading his gaze by glancing at the open book in his hand. "For now, let's focus on Rose."

Eventually, he agreed - although he looked like he wanted to alter his current priorities. It was sweet and I appreciated it, but the fears I felt as I relived my past life melted away as soon as he held my hand. That - the assurance which states that he'll always be with me through that simple gesture alone - turned out to be all I need as of now.

Without further adieu, Morpheus's magic took us in a particular dream that was recorded in Rose's history.

We were taken to a room, with colorful patterned walls, two beds on each corner, and a messy surroundings which indicates that its inhabitants were children and the two people occupying the middle of the room.

The boy looking no younger than seven years old took something from the table near to where Morpheus and I materialized and walked over to the middle where a teen girl sitting on the floor in front of an open suitcase was.

"That's her. Rose." I said, introducing her to Morpheus.

"Thanks, buddy," Rose said, receiving what the boy had given her. "You want to put on your shoes for me?"

"How far is New Jersey from Florida?" The boy asked. The hint of melancholy in his voice was not overlooked.

"About two days in a car, but..." Rose's words were left hanging as the voices coming from outside grew louder for hers to be clouded.