𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉 𝑶𝒇 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑬𝒏𝒅𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔

Twenty One

-
Thank you so much for reading and voting this story ♥️ Feel free to leave a comment every now and then as well. All feedbacks, except inappropriate ones, are welcome here. May Morpheus bless you with good dreams
-

Morpheus frowned as I chuckled as silent as I could.

"I'm just feeding the birds." He grumbled.

"Look, I can't stay here all day. I've got work to do." Death told Morpheus as Franklin walked away from us. "You can come with me if you want or you can stay here and sulk."

"I'll come with you, I suppose," Morpheus said. "And you?"

"Um... I suppose this is my cue to leave."

"What? Why?" He asked.

"I do not want to impose. I think you two should spend time together on your own. You have loads of catching up to do."

"But if he wishes you to join us, I've got no problem with that," Death said, smiling. "You're practically family too, you know."

I took a moment to contemplate, looking around and finding Joshua no longer there on his previous spot. "All right. I suppose I'll tag along."

"Well, don't do me any favors." Death grinned.

Morpheus and I stood at the same time as Franklin approached Death. That mortal's initiation of a chat with Death gave me the opportunity to put my book in this white tote bag I've slung on my shoulder.

"Sorry, before you go, um, could I maybe see you again?" Franklin asked Death like a teenage lovestruck boy.

I found it amusing how Morpheus glared at him the whole time, being the protective little brother that he is.

"Sure, Franklin. You'll see me again." Death said.

At that, Morpheus and I shared a knowing glance.

"Seriously?"

"Soon."

"Okay, cool. Yeah, let me just get your number and..." He turned to throw the ball to one of his friends, giving us a chance to depart.

Death led us to this narrow alleyway I once had the pleasure of wandering during my stay in this realm. Both sides of the alley were peppered with stalls of various food and ornaments displayed for people to buy.

"Look," Death exclaimed, stopping onto the front of the stall that sells fruits, then gasped when she spotted an apple. "Yum! Okay, three, please." She told the vendor.

"None for me, thank you." Morpheus said, making us turn to him.

"They're good for you." Death said.

"I'm not hungry." He argued.

"You can just have it later."

Morpheus didn't seem to like it, making Death give up.

"Just two, thanks." Death altered her order when I didn't protest like Morpheus did.

I quite like an apple, thanks.

"You have not been eating again, have you?" I nudged Morpheus's side.

"I lack the appetite to consume anything."

I frowned. "If I were there with you back in The Dreaming, I would not let a day go by without forcing you to eat."

"All you'll have to do is join me in every meal," He said. "However, your absence remains the sole problem of that scenario, isn't it?"