𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝑰𝒔 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑬𝒏𝒅, 𝑷𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝑶𝒏𝒆

Chapter Forty, Part One

-
Sorry for being away for too long. I've overcome the last trials I faced as a fourth year College student and as of now, I am officially just waiting for my graduation. My birthday has also passed.

And so here I am, coming up with the conclusion of Katrien and Morpheus's tale, as promised.

Without further adieu, here it is: the end...
-

"You've returned."

I heaved a heavy sigh as I approached Morpheus who was settling by his throne room, bearing a mirror which his eyes were once fixed upon.

"Later than I was anticipating," I said, standing next to him and shifting my posture to lean on him slightly. "It was chaotic, that spontaneous mission of mine."

"How come?" He asked softly, glancing sideways to find my eyes. "What trouble have I put you through this time, dearest?"

I chuckled as an attempt to somehow ease the hint of worry I heard from his voice. "Don't blame yourself, Morpheus. It was not your fault that that particular Oneirophonicist is preying on mortals' dreams. He can't help but be invested in the dreams he was buying and selling from different beings. Only this time, he got careless and unleashed chaos upon us all with his rotten deeds. And he was clever, I'll give him that. Made me have second thoughts about giving up the challenge and considering tagging along with him for a moment or two or an eternity."

"What?" Morpheus's brows furrowed, moving a little away from me so we'd stand face to face. "Do not tell me you risked making a gamble of your existence with an Oneirophonicist. You are a bigger prize to him than any of the dreams he is illegally procuring and bartering to anyone who is gullible enough to be fooled by him."

"I told you, I considered it. He was very persuasive, the same as you," I confessed. "But fear not, Morpheus, I fought against it and him and won. Like I promised, I won't leave you. I'm standing by that for as long as you'll have me."

He seemed to calm down a little. "How did you manage to fight and win against him, then?"

I smiled. "I may have had help from very dear friends. You remember Crowley and Aziraphale, don't you? If it weren't for them, I'd be trapped in a powerful dream catcher. I shall tell you all about it, but on another day. Right now, we must focus on the matter at hand."

"Yes. But please remind me to express my gratitude to your friends once this is all over," Morpheus said, winning against his urge to interrogate me more. "The barrier is near its complete collapse once Rose enters the realm and tangles the dreams of her friends and loved ones all at once."

He took my hand and allowed me to see what was happening with Rose and the shattering of the barrier between the dreams he was speaking of.

"Must we now intervene and take the matter in our hands?" I asked, glancing at him sideways.

"Yes." Morpheus nodded and with only a matter of second before he transported us to where Rose Walker is.

Her brother Jed had just vanished - got sucked in the abysmal whirpool would be the proper term - when we appeared where she was.

"You've caused a great deal of damage," Morpheus spoke, pulling Rose out of a trance of shock and distraught. "Nothing that I cannot repair, at least at this stage."

"We are aware of our differences and our past misunderstanding. Perhaps you do not trust us yet, especially Morpheus, but he is the only one who can help you."