𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑬𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒔 𝑵𝒆𝒂𝒓

Chapter Thirty Eight

Morpheus's idea of a second chance for us includes him welcoming me back by his side as he continuously monitors the vortex. Partly, it is because of the news I delivered to him about Lyta Hall's frequent stay in the Dreaming with his dead husband which led to her pregnancy and Corin's bleak activities down in the waking world.

With that said, he brought me alongside him to visit the source of the seismic activities that have been such a nuisance in our realm. It led us to the corner of the Dreaming in which Hector and Lyta Hall had built their house and made it their home for as long as they were reunited in her dreams.

We arrived just as Rose Walker did. She was welcomed by Lyta, whose belly is swollen for carrying her unborn child.

"Look at you!" Rose exclaimed in delight.

"I know, I'm huge." Lyta chuckled.

"You're gorgeous."

"I wish this baby would hurry up and just get here. It's been months."

Rose furrowed her brows. "It's been two hours."

"No way. I guess time moves differently here," Lyta shrugged and smiled as she beckoned Rose to come closer to her. "Come on, let me show you the house. I wish you could've seen it when we moved in."

"Why? What's different?" Rose asked.

"We've had earthquake damage."

Matthew arrived and joined us there just as we watched Lyta and Rose head for the entrance of the house.

"What do you think?" Matthew cawed, flapping his wings to stay afloat in the space between Morpheus and I.

"The vortex and the manifestation of her powers in Lyta's presence must be put in its proper place, or else it will instigate more than just these earthquakes."

"Tell Lucienne I've found the source of the tremors," Morpheus commanded. "And that Kat and I are taking care of it."

Matthew glanced at me as if he's silently sending me his approval of my evidently being back on good terms with Morpheus. When he began making his way back to the Palace, Morpheus led me inside the Hall residence using his power to manipulate his realm.

We arrived inside the house earlier than Rose and Lyta, giving Morpheus enough time to converse with Hector and me to look around, giving them space to handle the matter on their own.

"Hector, look who's here." Lyta's voice filled the room she found her way in with Rose in tow.

Rose recognized us within a moment after exchanging smiles with me, finding me as I turned my back on the painting that's hung on one wall. "Lyta, you remember I told you about Lord Morpheus, the King of Dreams? This is him. And that is Lady Katrien, his dream."

Lyta did not look impressed, and looked a little scared instead. "What do you want?"

"He wants us to leave." Hector echoed what he heard from Morpheus not too long ago.

"Why?"

"Because," I said. "Your husband is a ghost, Lyta, and he cannot escape his fate by hiding here in our realm. And you cannot run from your grief by choosing to stay here with him."

Morpheus gave me a look of approval, welcoming me to his side as I approached him. "Do you not see the damage your presence has done to this realm?"

"The earthquakes are not just a minor inconvenience. It marks the collapse of the veil that's separating this realm from the human realm. It must be put to its end, before it dooms us all."