𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝑾𝒆 𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒅

Chapter Thirty Six

Rose Walker took me and Morpheus to our journey's end as ravens began crowing to accompany little Zelda. There, we stood outside a house which held great familiarity upon her.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"This was our house growing up." Rose introduced to us, pointing at the house standing before where we materialised.

"You've done it," Morpheus looked pleased. "You've found your brother's dream."

"Now we find Gault." I said when our eyes met, nodding once which he reciprocated not a second after.

Silence washed over the three of us before I began hearing faint noises from voices I do not seem to be acquainted with yet, or if I am, I must have forgotten it.

"He's not a member of my rogues gallery." A boy's voice spoke.

"He's the most powerful foe we have ever faced. The King of Nightmares. And he has come to take me away from you." That familiar voice responded.

"I'm not about to let that happen."

"Thank you, Sandman," The voice said, making me glance at Morpheus out of instinct to see if he heard it too but he showed no sign of being wary of it. "But this battle is mine to face. And mine alone."

"We'll see about that."

"Jed, Jed, come back, please..."

The sounds I was hearing alone became fainter then and Rose spoke in perfect timing afterward.

"What's our next move? How do we find him?" She asked, beginning to worry now.

"I think... he's bound to find us." I said.

Like I willed it so, a little boy clad in a makeshift costume of a mundane hero - with eye mask and cape and all - appeared before us, standing tall despite being only half of us, and emits such confidence as if he is a real hero beyond this dream of his.

"Halt, King of Nightmares, or I'll send you back to Dreamland." The boy said.

"Jed?" Rose called softly, sounding as if she's hoping it is the truth and not just her wishful thinking.

The boy paid her little mind. "I am the Guardian of Sleepers. I am Lord of the Dream Domain. I am The Sandman." He said, placing his hands on his hip, creating such flair in his equally dramatic introduction.

Morpheus smiled in amusement, glancing at me sideways before turning to the boy once more. "You are the Sandman?"

I chuckled. "You heard the kid. I mean, now that he said that, I can't tell you two apart."

Morpheus chuckled back, finding this whole endeavour as hilarious as I do. "Is that what she told you? Where is she? Your master." As he spoke, he began taking small steps forward to approach the boy.

"Stay back." The boy stepped back to get away from Morpheus.

"We are not here to hurt you, little one." I interfered, making use of my knowledge of approaching situations similar to this.

Just then, someone else joined us in this already chaotic dream of the boy. "It's me you want, not him." She said, blocking the boy with her body against Morpheus and me.

"Oh, my god," Rose exclaimed, having her hands fly to her mouth. "Mom?"

"That is not your mother, Rose." Morpheus said.

"Rose?" The boy said, coming out slightly from behind the woman's back. "Is that you?"

Tears began to well up in Rose's eyes. "I have been looking for you everywhere."