𝑫𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎'𝒔 𝑺𝒂𝒏𝒅

Thirteen

We went back to where we left Morpheus first before we headed on to where Johanna said the sand was.

On the way, I filled Morpheus in with what he missed - except for the parts I intend to keep between Johanna and I.

We abandoned the cab, deciding to walk our way to our destination instead.

The night was peaceful, with people already slumbering inside their homes, which is why we were confident enough to take a stroll.

"Who is she? The woman in the picture." Morpheus, who was walking between Johanna and I, said.

"Her name's Rachel, Rachel Moodie." Johanna replied.

"Does she deal in magic as well?" He asked, seemingly interested in it.

Johanna scoffed. "God, no. No, she is actually a decent person."

I approved. "Good for her."

Johanna nodded. "Proper job, nice family. Fuckin' hated all the magic stuff."

"And yet you left the sand with her." Morpheus said.

"No, I did not leave it with her. Sort of left it. And her." Johanna said.

I looked down while she and Morpheus looked at each other.

I thought she would stop talking and closed off once more but she continued.

"I was staying at her place. She interpreted that as us living together, which we weren't, so..."

"You panicked and left." I continued for her.

Johanna nodded. "So, one night, I just went on a job and... never went back."

"Why?"

"Because it never ends well, does it?"

"What? Love?" Morpheus continued, glancing at me for a moment. "No. I suppose it doesn't."

I shook my head. "Never does."

Johanna walked ahead, leaving Morpheus and me behind. "I don't know if it's noticeable or not but people around me tend to get ripped in half or cast down to Hell. Safer for her if I left."

"Did you tell her that?" Morpheus asked.

Johanna stopped in front of a small building entrance. "No. I suppose I'll have to now," She faced the door. "This is her. Or it used to be."

Morpheus looked at it while I leaned on the wall next to the door.

Johanna approached the door. "It's been six months. Maybe she might've moved house," She whispered to herself as she reached for the buzzer. "Please. Have moved house," She said when she saw my grin then moved to press the button where Rachel's name is aligned. "Oh, bollocks."

"Best of luck to you, Jo." I jestered.

Johanna rolled her eyes and stomped tensely. "Maybe we'll get lucky and she won't be-"

The door buzzed in no time, permitting her to enter.

Johanna's brows furrowed. "That's weird. She didn't even ask who it was."

I straightened and copied her expression, finding that peculiar too.

"Maybe she's expecting someone. This could get awkward. More... awkward," Johanna looked at me then at Morpheus. "Wait here."

"I'm coming with you." Morpheus said.

"No, you're not."

"I'm staying here." I said when she looked at me.