𝑫𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎'𝒔 𝑹𝒖𝒃𝒚 & 𝑱𝒐𝒉𝒏 𝑫𝒆𝒆

Eighteen

"Excuse me, Lady Katrien?" Matthew snapped me out of my unwanted trance. "I mentioned he needs help, right?"

"Yeah..." I said, shaking my head to regain my composure before hurrying to join him on the floor. "Sorry... I was... I thought you'd go to where the ruby is. Who did this to him?"

Matthew flew on the other side, facing me and watching me cradle almost half of Morpheus's body on my lap. "We did find the ruby and it did that to him."

"What?" I furrowed my brows. "What exactly happened here?"

He took a deep breath, if that was even possible, and began telling me what happened.

"We arrived in this godforsaken space where apparently, this person keeps his possessions such as the ruby. It reacted to Lord Morpheus's presence when we got here, lighting up so we could easily find it. So naturally, we let our guard down."

"Oh."

Matthew nodded. "I was the one who eagerly pointed the tiny chest to Lord Morpheus, quite excited to see this ruby in person and his reaction when he completed his lost belongings. And then, without wasting another moment, he took the box, opened it, saw the ruby glowing in the dark, took it in his hands and smiled a little. But then, his smile vanished."

I blinked. "He noticed something was wrong."

"Yes! Something is wrong with it, he said. It was altered. Just as he realized that, that bloody thing blasted him to the other end of the room, knocking him out of his daylights until now."

"I should have never left," I said, gritting my teeth and gravely regretting the fact that I urged him to go without me. "We should have waited."

"Perhaps. But if you did, then I wouldn't get to find out who took the ruby."

"Who is it? Ethel's son?"

"Okay, I have no idea who that is but I saw the guy who took the ruby here earlier. I think I can describe him to you," Matthew said. "He's tall, super thin, almost balding so he must be old, and he's wearing this pyjamas that looks similar to what the hospital patients wear. Sadly, that's all I can say since I didn't get a clear glimpse on his face."

"That might be helpful enough," I said. "We can find him once Morpheus wakes up. We must tend to our Lord first."

Matthew agreed and fell silent as he let me do the work.

Putting all the possible consequences of using the ring once more behind me, I tapped into its magic to call on Morpheus from his unconscious being.

"Morpheus," I whispered, leaning close to his ear as I placed my left hand on his chest - aligning my trinket to his heart. "It's Kat. I've returned to save you so you must find your way back to me."

Seconds passed and nothing happened except for the glow that the rose quartz stone emitted, fighting over the darkness of the four walls trapping us inside.

"I did not say this before but..." I sighed. "I cannot bear to lose you as well. The first time we parted was bad enough so I searched for you the second time. I don't want there to be a third. I refuse. So come back, Morpheus."

Like I recited a powerful incantation, my words seemed to pull him in this world enough to wake him.

"Kat..." He said after seeing me once he opened his eyes.

He attempted to sit but I did not allow him.

"You Endless beings surely do not know how to practice caution, do you?" I grumbled, flashing a pretentious frown when he continued staring at me. "I have only been gone, for what - fifteen minutes - and you've already gotten yourself in this misfortune."