𝑳𝒆𝒕'𝒔 𝑮𝒐 𝑻𝒐 𝑯𝒆𝒍𝒍

Fourteen

We agreed to spare a moment of silence for Rachel's lost life.

The rain was pouring quite hard when we headed out to find where Johanna went. We found her at that alleyway where Morpheus and I were earlier.

He was holding my hand as we walked, unintentionally fiddling with the ring on my finger as he intertwined his fingers with mine. Like a mutual unspoken agreement, we let go of our grasps once Johanna noticed our presence.

Morpheus conjured another coat, exactly like what he gave me to wear, for him to wear and in its right pocket, he secured the pouch of sand he successfully retrieved moments before.

We settled in front of Johanna, sending her a look that let her know we sympathise with her loss.

"She died in peace. In her sleep." Morpheus said.

Johanna looked away, teary-eyed already.

In which I followed, "She had the most wonderful dream. It was of the two of you, happy together."

Johanna stared at the rain still pouring. "I'll let her dad know," She turned to us. "You know, she was actually a good person. There are a few of them out there, you know."

Morpheus glanced at me. "I know."

Johanna continued, "They're not all like me and Roderick Burgess."

"You are nothing like that monster." I said.

Matthew arrived, cawing, a little too far away from us.

Johanna noticed him. "And what's your friend's name?"

"His name is Matthew but he's not my-" Morpheus was cut off.

"Look after him, Matthew." Johanna said.

Matthew flew nearer.

"When the time comes Katrien cannot be there, he needs it."

I smiled a little then went to hug her. "Take care of yourself, Johanna."

"If I fail to do that, will you check on me from time to time?" She said through her teeth, hiding sadness laced in her voice.

"I'm declaring we're friends now, so yes. We shall see one another again." I let her go after she briefly returned the hug.

"I'm only taking the mick out of you. I don't wanna take you away from the dream lord." She opened the umbrella and started walking away in the rain.

"Well, I'm not." I said, looking at Morpheus and seeing him pleased.

"Constantine!" He called loudly once he looked away from me.

Johanna paused and turned back to us.

"That nightmare won't trouble you anymore."

Johanna just smiled and got on with her way.

"Good of you to give her that peace, Morpheus." I said, smiling.

Matthew nodded. "And that was nice, what you did up there."

Morpheus turned to him. "Don't ever spy on me again."

"I wasn't spying. If I was spying, you'd never know it."

That earned a chuckle from me, not minding the way Morpheus's frown deepened.

"So, what's our next move?" Matthew asked.

"Good question." I looked expectantly at Morpheus.

"Kat and I are going in search of my helm. And you are going back to the Dreaming."