𝑾𝒉𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉

Seventeen

Only when we got to the area where we arrived in Hell did we feel free to talk.

"The way you wish to avoid angering Lucifer was..." I mimicked the chef's kiss gesture. "...impeccable. Brilliant, really. I can see him writhing crossly as we walk away."

Morpheus smiled a little. "It serves him right for thinking I'd give up my dream over his hands."

I looked away and whispered, "Suddenly, you're territorial of me because another desires me."

Matthew saved me by speaking. "Do you think Lucifer will come after you?"

"Why?"

"You just publicly humiliated the Ruler of Hell."

"I did do that, didn't I?" Morpheus mused.

"Don't worry, Matthew. He won't be alone if Lucifer decides to come after him. Also, he's one step closer to retrieving all his lost possessions. He'll be as powerful as before again." I assured him.

We both watched as Morpheus put on his Helm of State. While I was watching in wonder, Matthew seemed skeptical.

"Can you even see in that thing?"

"I can." Morpheus replied.

I nodded. "He can."

"I can see the ruby." Morpheus declared.

When he spoke, I felt a sting similar to an electric shock coming from my finger where the enchanted ring resides.

"I have to go." I said, breathing heavily.

Morpheus stopped on his attempt to sprinkle his sand to make a portal. "What? Why?"

"I have... an important matter to attend to." I managed to say.

Morpheus took his helm off and approached me. "What is it?"

"It's better to tell you once we're out of here." I whispered, being wary of our surroundings.

Morpheus nodded. "I shall come with you."

I shook my head. "No. I will only be gone for a moment. I doubt you will even notice my absence."

"Still... I will not let you go alone." Morpheus insisted.

"You think I can't handle myself out there?" I raised a brow, finding a second to taunt him before I go.

"It's not that-"

"It's more like he can't handle being apart from you, Lady Katrien." Matthew amended, having enough courage to tease him too.

"That's just ridiculous." I laughed.

Morpheus grumbled, "But not entirely untrue," He sighed. "Do you really have to leave? Now?"

"I'm afraid so, my Lord."

"Then I shall go back to my realm and wait for you to settle your personal affairs first before going after the ruby."

I sensed the apprehension in his voice. "No. I will not allow my matters to affect yours in any way. If you wish to, you may travel to where you saw the ruby now. I shall follow you there once I sort things out."

"Are you certain you will not need me there?" Morpheus kept trying his luck.

"Yes. And are you certain you will be alright with only having Matthew as your company?"

"I do not have much choice, do I?"

"Hey! Don't sound like having me around is a bad thing." Matthew protested.