Chapter 10: Having the time of their dead life

"Caleb hasn't heard anything?" Dean asks Sam after he hangs up the phone.

"No, neither had Jefferson or Pastor Jim. What about the journal? Any lead in there?" Sam asks.

"No, same as last time I looked. Nothing I can make out." Dean says. He chuckles. "I love the guy, I swear. But he writes like friggin' Yoda." Dean says.

Alexis laughs a little, not looking up from her sketch book. She wasn't really able to help with looking for John in this department. She wasn't on good terms with many hunters and there was only one journal to look through. So, she was drawing.

"Maybe we should call the feds. File a missing persons." Sam suggests.

"Yeah, cause I want to be killed when we do find him." Alexis says sarcastically.

"Sam, we've talked about this. Dad would be pissed if we put the feds on his tail." Dean says.

"I don't care anymore. After all that happened back in Kansas. I mean, he should've been there. You said so yourself you tried to call him. And nothing." Sam says as Dean stands up and walks toward his jacket to get his ringing phone.

"I know." Dean tells Sam. "Where the hell is my cell phone?"

"You need to find it. That noise is getting annoying." Alexis says.

"You know, he could be dead for all we know." Sam continues.

Dean stands up straight, looking at Sam. "Don't say that." He says. "He's not dead. He's-he's..."

"He's what? He's hiding? He's busy?" Sam asks. The brothers constant arguing over the same thing was giving Alexis a headache and that stupid phone ringing wasn't helping one bit.

The ringing finally stopped once Dean found his phone. He scoffs, saying, "I don't believe it."

"What?" Alexis asks, looking up from her sketch book as Dean sat down on the bed.

"It's a-a text message." Dean says.

"Wow." Alexis mutters under her breath. "A text message from the phone. What a remarkable, shocking thing to find."

"It's coordinates." Dean tells them, looking over at the other two.

~~~

"Do you think dad was texting us?" Sam asks.

"He's given us coordinates before." Dean says, not looking away from the laptop.

"The man can barley work a toaster, Dean." Sam says causing Alexis to chuckle.

"Sam, this is good news. It means he okay, alive, at least." Dean finally looks over at his brother.

"Was there a number? Caller ID?" Alexis asks from across the table.

"No, it said unknown."

"Where do the coordinates point?" Sam asks.

"That's the interesting part. Rockford, Illinois." Dean says.

"How is that interesting?" Alexis asks.

"I checked the local Rockford paper. Take a look at this." Dean says, turning the laptop to face Sam. Alexis moves to see the screen, too.

"This cop. Walter Kelly." Dean says, clicking on the photo. "He comes home from his shift, shoots his wife then puts the gun in his mouth and blows his brains out. And earlier that night, Kelly and his partner responded to a call at the Roosevelt asylum." Dean grabs John's journal and opens it.

"I'm not following. Wh-what does this have to do with us?" Sam asks.

"Dad earmarked the same asylum in his journal." Dean flips through the pages. "Lets see. Here, seven unconfirmed sightings. Two deaths, till last week, of course. I think this is where he wants us to go." Dean explains.