Chapter 21: Steal a dead body

Dean sets down the newspaper as Alexis spins the straw around her milkshake.

"Alright, dude. Not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. What do ya got?" Dean asks.

"Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota...Here. A woman from Iowa fell 10,000 feet from an airplane and survived." Sam says.

"Sounds more like That's incredible than, uh, Twilight zone."

"Yeah."

"Sounds like you you two need to be better at your job." Alexis states absentmindedly as she continues her drawing.

"I don't see you trying to find us something to hunt." Dean looks over at her.

"I've got the day off."

"Says who?"

"Says me. And we all know I'm the boss."

"Okay, sure, dalrin'. Hey, uh, you know, we could just keep headin' east." Dean suggests. "New York. Upstate."

"Finally, a good idea." Alexis agrees.

"You could stop by and see Sarah again. Eh?" Dean smiles. "She's a cool chick, man. Smokin'." Dean whistles. Alexis kicks Dean in the shin. "Stop kicking me." Dean glances at Alexis. "You two seemed pretty friendly. What do you say?" He turns back to Sam.

Sam chuckles. "Yeah, I don't know. Maybe someday. But in the meantime, we got a lot of work to do, Dean. And you know that."

"Yeah, you're right. What else do ya got?"

"Ah. Manning, Colorado. Local man by the name of Daniel Elkins was found mauled in his own home."

"Elkins?" Dean asks.

"Yes, Dean. Pay attention." Alexis playfully rolls her eyes.

"I know that name."

"Doesn't ring a bell." Sam replies. "Sounds like the police don't know what to think either. At first they said it was some sort of bear attack."

Dean pulls out John's journal, flipping through the pages.

"And now they found signs of robbery." Sam continues.

"Mm-hm. There." Dean hands Sam the journal. "Check it out."

"You think its the same Elkins?" Sam asks.

"Its Colorado area code." Dean states.

"So, John knew this Daniel Elkins? Guess that means Colorado is our next stop." Alexis shrugs her shoulders.

~~~

Dean pushes the door open after picking the lock. Sam and Alexis follow behind him as he walks in. They walk through the house.

"Looks like the maid didn't come today." Dean says as he stops in the doorway of a room.

"Hey, there's salt over here." Sam, who had stayed at the front door, calls out. "Right by the door."

"You mean, like, protection against demon salt or, uh, 'oops' I spilled the popcorn salt?" Dean asks.

"I'm guessing its the first one." Alexis slips past Dean and walks further into the room.

"Its clearly a ring." Sam tells them. "You think this guy, Elkins, was a player?"

"Definitely." Dean answers.

Sam walks in the room and looks at the journal Dean was flipping through. "That looks a hell of a lot like dads."

"Yeah, except this dates back to the 60's."