Chapter X

She was back in the cell.
The cell, mostly made of glass, was round and seemed to hang several metres above the floor, presumably to make it more difficult to break out. The glass was thick, thicker and more solid than normal security glass. The cell seemed incredibly sparse, the furnishings consisting of nothing more than a small bed or cot and a small bookshelf - an integral part of the wall. After standing hesitantly in the centre of the small circle, she decided to occupy herself with it; after all, there was nothing else. She approached the shelf hesitantly, instinctively reaching out to touch the spines of the books. Some of them seemed quite old, still bound in leather, while others had the normal binding expected of books. She scanned the titles: Meaningless titles of what were most likely mind-numbing novels. The door. Didn't sound very promising. She looked further and something actually caught her attention. A thick book bound in a dark cover seemed to be smiling at her.
  'Encyclopaedia of Technical Chemistry'. It was almost 9 centimetres thick and certainly filled with facts, formulas and so much more. The corners of her mouth twitched as the hint of a smile played around them; she had never seen such a beautiful book.

 She had always had the feeling that books resembled small prison cells. Small rooms into which worlds had been locked; knowledge and power, with the desire to be free. And, as soon as you opened a book, opened the cell, it burst out, ready to take the new freedom; the freedom and who had given it. With gentle hands, the words wrapped themselves around your face and drew you into their world. You became a part of her and it became a part of you.

She didn't know how much time had passed, as always when she was immersed in a strange, better world. The book lay on her lap as she sat cross-legged at the end of the cell, the small row in front of which there was no platform to stand on and watch her. Her head was almost overflowing with new input, but she liked it.
So engrossed in the book, she hadn't noticed how three other people had joined her. Maybe she felt their eyes on her back and ignored them, maybe not. It was Rogers, Tony, Bucky Barnes and Wanda who had come to the front of the cell. They had been standing here for several minutes and had seen nothing but the black back and heard the quiet turning of the pages.
  "What do we do now?" Rogers spoke quietly so the prisoner wouldn't hear him, but still seemed to violently shatter the silence. The cell was soundproofed, but this could be switched on and off. Tony looked at Steve, then rolled his eyes briefly and demonstratively pressed the small button that ensured that the inmate was sealed off from any sounds of the outside world.
 "It's not built in here for nothing." All three ignored Tony's comment.
 "We need to find out who she belongs to." Bucky was the first to respond, his eyes still fixed on the female back. He wasn't a fan of her, that much was clear. Their altercation back at the base had already caused her to slide down his favourites list, a potential connection with Hydra didn't make things any better. Hydra had taken so much from him; his will, his life. "We need to know what she has to do with Hydra," he added. Bucky pondered, she seemed good, was certainly quite high up in the Hydra ranks. That meant she was really dangerous, but it also meant she had more information, more damning information. But they had to get that out of her first and that could prove difficult. So there was no time to waste. "Should one of us go in or do we take her to the interrogation room?" the soldier asked. 

 "What's she doing?" Wanda interjected. She had been dwelling on her own thoughts while they had been watching the young woman. Could she even be called that; a woman. She seemed much more like a girl, young, fragile and innocent. But then the witch thought back to the brief moment when she had caught a glimpse of her eyes. Eyes that no longer held an ounce of childlike innocence, cold.
  " Reading- We should take her to the interrogation room." Tony stood up, stretched his tired limbs momentarily and was already about to approach the cell when he turned around once more. "You know what, you do that, Rogers," he said with a sweet smile.