Chapter II

Warning:
I don't speak Russian, so I had to put everything through the translator.
Please forgive any mistakes, feel free to point them out, then I can learn something for next
time :)
Maybe next time I'll just stick to English and label the spoken differently if you find it better?

---

'Nina Egorov'.
She had been living under this name for almost a year in the chilly north of Russia. Somewhere between Golyashi and Ozernoe Ust'e, in the deepest thicket of a forest, stood a small hut, the stone walls brittle and newly plastered.

After turning her back on S.H.I.E.L.D, she had left for Russia, a plan in mind but no specific destination. She liked forests, they offered a protection she otherwise rarely found, covered from all sides. So, she had simply set off, wandering through the forest on the off chance, ready to build a shelter herself should the need arise.
In the end, she told herself, she had been more lucky than clever. While February in New York was sometimes uncomfortably chilly, perhaps surprising her with a few flakes of snow now and then, the month in this part of Russia was insidious. Nights would cool down to -10° Celsius [14° Fahrenheit], definitely not temperatures that invited sleeping outside with only a coat for protection from the cold.

How she had survived the nights in the deadly cold? that would have been a mystery for science. For Nina, it had been a fierce battle, something she was usually sure-footed in. But this time her opponent was not in front of her, no fleshy body showing clear signs of attack and defence; nothing to touch, nothing to point her knife or a gun at. The cold was always there, -3° Celsius [26,6° Fahrenheit] during the day was almost tropical, at least when compared to the nights. Freezing to death, that was what Nina had firmly expected at some point, when she had found nothing but bears and moose even after several days. The little minks that had crossed her path, briefly frightened and staring at her in a somewhat puzzled way - usually they never saw people, might have made a warming fur blanket... But Nina didn't waste a thought on killing innocent and endangered animals.
Killing humans was something else. A mink had done nothing else in its life than what was necessary for its survival, it did not take it upon itself to decide through its actions on the lives of other beings that already existed in this world before it.
The sight of the small rodents made her smile every time, the way they stared steadfastly with their curious black beady eyes into her own.

Her skills, most of which she had learned over the years, and the natural conditions of the landscape had saved her from freezing to death. In crevices, niches and small caves she at least found shelter from the merciless snow and hail. At first, she had not wanted to light a fire, fearing that someone might notice and think it strange. But she had had no other choice and so had had to collect some wood, which had remained quite dry by lying in a small cave. The fire produced hardly more than smoke for the first hour and she was glad to have placed it at the entrance of the cave, although the risk of being discovered was higher, at least she would not die of smoke poisoning.
She had been struggling along for a few days, and there seemed to be no end in sight.
But, after almost two weeks, she was wandering through the thicket once more when she spotted something among the dark trunks.

The hut was hardly recognisable as such, the part that had probably once been made of wood had almost completely rotted away. But the basic building, made of rough stone piled on top of each other, was still standing. Mentally and physically at the end of her tether, her first thought was still the possibility of an ambush; why would there be a hut here in the middle of nowhere?
Fingers tightly closed around her gun and ready to fire, she stalked the remains of the building. Even with her heavy, heel-less combat boots, she barely made a sound in the thick snow. But her efforts were unnecessary. No one who didn't have four legs had even approached the hut for years. She quickly made up her mind; she couldn't possibly wander through the forest any longer if she didn't want to perish in the process. Somehow, she would make the hut - or at least a small part of it- habitable again.
Said, done. And within a short time, she had made the hut halfway habitable again.