Chapter XII

She was sitting in her cell again.
Right at the back in the corner, if you could call it that in a round room. At least she felt a little protected there.
One of the Avengers sat in front of her cell - as always - and kept an eye on her. To be honest, it was a bit silly. For one thing, getting out of the cell was quite a feat and, if you made it that far, even a single person on the other side of the glass wouldn't make a difference. In front of her was one of the few books in the cell that she had been leafing through since Rogers had brought her back to her cell. It was incredibly boring.

Sensory deprivation. If the brain is deprived of any external stimuli, delusions occur after just a few hours. People began to hear voices or other sounds that didn't exist. Fortunately, she was not yet in any danger. The room was not completely bare and she could see outside through the window. The wires on the walls, machines were enough to keep her brain happy.

Someone was snoring. It was Thor, who had introduced himself to her as the god of Asgard. She had been sceptical when he had taken his place in front of the window, but after he had spent a solid half hour of unconcerned, completely one-sided dialogue, telling her quite a lot about himself, she got the impression that he was a gentle giant. Mjölnir, his hammer, lay next to him on a second style.
  "Only those who are worthy can lift it," he had proudly explained to her, passing the hammer from one hand to the other with ease. "It's pretty cool, isn't it?"

Now his flow of words had dried up, his head was tilted to one side and he was asleep.
She lifted her head and looked around. Obviously, nothing had changed in the cell itself, but now she had the time and patience. The first thing that caught her eye were the cameras, which obviously hadn't made any effort to hide them. Whoever was in here should know that they were being watched. She stood up, a little stiffly, and stretched her tired bones. It had been far too long since she had slept, but she could live with that. Inch by inch, she felt her way around the room, running her fingers over every surface, patting the walls and pulling at things that stuck out slightly.

--

  "Thor!" Steve Rogers had burst into the room, visibly displeased at the sight of the sleeping god. "You're supposed to be watching her, not sleeping!" he shouted, successfully waking the man. Thor raised his head sleepily, blinked in confusion and looked around. When his eyes fell on Steve, he immediately sat up and stared over to the cell. Relieved, he realised that his nap had not meant an outburst and that the blonde was still sitting behind glass. "She's still there, nothing's happened." Steve snorted. He wasn't concerned with whether something had happened or not, he was concerned with the principle. "Lucky you," he replied.
The door opened again and the woman with the red hair she had seen at the base and on her way back from the interrogation, along with the man with the metal arm, walked in.

  "Is there a problem?" the metal arm asked immediately, automatically looking over at Nina. She understood the suspicion, of course. Nevertheless, she couldn't help squinting her eyes slightly and tilting her head. She was the one sitting in the cell; she probably posed the least danger.

 "Thor wasn't paying attention and fell asleep." Steve had no problem immediately revealing what his problem was. "She could have just left," he emphasised again.
  "She couldn't have," intervened Tony, who none of them had heard come in. He pointed proudly at the cell. "How was she supposed to get out of the cell?" Nina, who had been watching the little exchange of blows, blinked; a little too conspicuously. "Is there a problem?" Tony asked immediately. The compound's security system was his pride and joy and he made no secret of it.
  "Well, since I've had to spend the last eight hours here, I thought I might as well use the time, didn't I?" Nina sat cross-legged in the centre of the cell. She looked like a small, rebellious child and was nothing less to Tony at that moment. "What do you want?"
  "Me?" her voice was high. "I don't want anything. But I think you wanted something, didn't you?" Tony bit his tongue. How did one manage to be so provocative with barely three sentences?
  "What would we want from you?" he snapped before any of the others could say anything. Nina couldn't stop herself from smiling. "Answers." There was a pause. "You really think this cell is that safe?"
  "Of course." Tony had no doubts, he had built it after all. "No one's ever broken out."
  "Ha, weak." Nina said half aloud. Tony was ready to enter the cell himself. "Excuse me?"