CHAPTER ONE

"Come on Alice, please come!?!"

I sighed, rolling my eyes internally as I blankly stared at the same page I'd been trying to read for the last twenty minutes. I've reread the same paragraph at least five times already. This is what I get for trying to escape reality in a healthy way I guess.

My best friend Cassandra has been begging me for the last hour and a half to go to her birthday party even though she knows how much I hate crowded places.

Especially parties.

Don't get me wrong, I love myself a good shot of tequila and a lightheadedness only weed can give. I just don't like drunk hormonal teens rubbing against each other, while swapping saliva in the not-so-dark corners of the room.

Plus, Cass isn't even the one throwing the party. Her hot-shot football player boyfriend, Jace, is the one throwing it. And I don't entirely think it's for her birthday.

He just wants to get laid.

"I think I'll pass, thanks."

"Ugh! Come on Al is not like I'm gonna turn eighteen again... I just really want my best friend to be there to celebrate with me. Is that so much to ask for?"

She threw herself back onto the large black beanbag chair that sat at the far corner of my equally as dark bedroom with a pout and puppy dog eyes that she knows don't work on me, it just annoys me.

“You know I don't like parties, Cas," I stated bluntly, flipping to the next page of my not-so-interesting anymore book. It was great until Cas barged in, demanding I go to this “small gathering” as she tried to put it.

Key word: tried.

We both know that when it comes to parties thrown by her or her friends– they aren't just a “small gathering” it's more like the close imitation of a college frat house party.

“Can't we just go out to eat and watch cringe-worthy movies and then you can go to your party?” I asked, leaning against the headboard of my bed.

I finally looked at her with an annoyed sigh, feeling her glare at me from across the room.

I hope I don't regret this…

"When is it? I'll see if I can go..." I sighed rubbing the scar over the bridge of my nose. I think I can feel a headache starting to form.

Before I could even blink Cas squealed, tackling me while I sat on my bed, giving me the biggest bear hug ever. I don't even think a bear could even compare to her strength right now.

"THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO ME!!! I PROMISE YOU WON'T REGRET THIS!!!"

I take it back, she's more like a cobra strangling her prey in a suffocating squeeze. I don't mind it though.