CHAPTER NINE

"It's been two days! Why the hell isn't my daughter awake yet?!" a loud, familiar voice angrily asked the person I'm assuming they're talking to

Alex.

I can hear the shuffle of movement next to me and at the foot of my bed. There's another who just entered the room. I knew who they all were by the sounds of their footsteps.

The heavy footsteps that sound more like a soldier marching is Alex, probably a habit he never kicked from his time in the military. The light padded footsteps that I can just barely hear are Aileen's, she always has on a pair of those ballerina flats. Which means these last set of footsteps are Alaric's. His footsteps sound a lot like his fathers, just a tad more graceful like his mothers- well he's in the boxing club at his college so it's not entirely surprising.

A small groan slipped past my dried and cracked lips, drawing their attention as I tried to sit up from this uncomfortable bed.

What the fuck am I laying on? Cardboard?

"Allycat? Thank god! Dad, call the doctor!"

I opened my eyes and was momentarily blinded by the bright lights of the room. My eyes feel heavy as I look around the room through squinted eyes. Alaric and Ailleen had moved to each side of my bed. They tried to hold my hands but I jerked them away, groaning again at the sudden movement.

My whole body hurts, I feel like I'm on fire, and my ears won't stop ringing.

"water..." I grumbled, running a hand through my knotted hair.

Alaric nodded and poured me a glass of water from the pitcher sitting on the table next to the hospital bed.

"How are you feeling sweetheart?" Aileen asked with a gentle smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Sore." I sat up slowly, feeling irritated that I couldn't move my left arm very well thanks to the IV drip I'm currently attached to.

"Here let us-" Aileen and Alaric both moved to help me, but I held up my good hand in protest, taking the water from Alaric's hand as soon as I was situated.

"I got it." I took a sip of the lukewarm water, eyeing Alaric as he stood awkwardly at the side of my bed. "Why are you here Alaric? You should be at school."

His blue eyes widened for a moment before he glared at me, crossing his muscular arms over his broad chest.

"I'm going to find your father." Aileen cleared her throat, standing up from the small chair before leaving the small white and blue room quietly.

"You look like shit." Alaric smirked, taking a seat at the end of the bed.

I rolled my eyes. "You're one to talk."

His short dirty blond hair looks like he ran his fingers through it about a million times and the stubble on his chin tells me he probably hasn't showered in a few days.