CHAPTER SEVEN

“Alright, now what would you lovely ladies like to drink?” the older firey-haired waitress at Decker’s Diner asked sweetly as she placed the menus in front of Cas and I after we had slid into our booth

“I'll have a small coconut cream milkshake, please!” Cas responded lightly, bouncing in her seat.

“And for you dear?” the older woman turned her attention to me as she wrote Cas’s drink down in a little notepad.

“A large mocha coffee milkshake please…”

“Sure thing! I'll be right back with those in a bit then I'll take your orders!” The older woman replied kindly, her naturally red hair that was pulled into a ponytail, flowed down the middle of her back and swayed gently as she made her way to the kitchen.

Decker’s Diner is an underrated mom-and-pop establishment that serves really good food. Their milkshakes are my favorite though.

Cas and I started coming here, I think, our third year of middle school. We were walking home from school and it started raining, so we came in here for shelter. An older woman that used to work here saw that we were both soaked to the bone so she made us some soup to combat the cold.

It was the best soup I had ever tasted.

“You alright Alice?”

“Hm?” I looked up to see Cas staring at me worried. I nodded my head slightly as her question registered.

“Yeah I'm okay… I was just thinking about how we found this place. “ I explained with a shrug, playing with the salt shaker. she smiled brightly and laughed at the memory.

“I remember it was raining that day! What was the name of the lady who helped us that day? Marge? No…” Cas slightly frowned as we tried to remember the name of the steel old waitress.

“Norma!” we answered at the same time, making her laugh.

“Yes?” an elderly woman answered from behind the counter at the front of the diner, drawing our attention. “Do I know you girls?” she asked as she shuffled her way over using a cane for assistance. “You girls do look familiar…”

It was her. The waitress who made us the delicious soup that day Cas and I were soaked, looking like sewer rats.

“Actually yes, but you might not remember.” Cas smiled and I slid over in the booth for the woman to take a seat and I tried my best not to react when she patted my back in appreciation.

“Oh don't worry I may be old but my mind is still mostly intact!” she laughed, reaching over to hold one of Cas’s hands, then she gently reached for mine and I allowed it.

“I remember now, you girls came in during that terrible storm! How long has it been?” Norma asked as she looked between the two of us.

“It's been about four years I think… yeah four years!” Cas answered with an excited bob of her head.