CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I screwed up

I screwed up. I know that.

I screwed up and now Alice won't talk to me. I feel like such a bitch for not being there for her when she needed me. I feel terrible for practically ghosting her for those technically three days.

I want to apologize, I do, but I'm scared. I don't want to lose my best friend.

I have a reason for not being at the hospital with her. I'm just not sure how she'll take it.

How do you tell your best friend of 8 years that your parents are sending you away for a few months, because they found out about what happened at the party last month?

Flashback

I was in a taxi following behind Alex, who was speeding his way through traffic with Alice in the back if his car still passed out, when my mom called.

"Darling... I need you to come home... now."

"What? Mom, I can't, Alice-"

"Right now, Cassandra."

Cassandra? She never calls me Cassandra... did I do something wrong? Wait! Did they find Jace's stash? He promised he would put it in place so that no one wouldn't find it!!

Why would I hide my boyfriend's drug paraphernalia? Because I thought that's what a good girlfriend would do! But if it turns out that they found it and they think it's mine then I'm totally throwing him under the bus.

Deciding that Alex has enough on his plate right now, I asked the driver to turn around and head back home.

I swear if this is about them having to go on another business trip, or something else that we could've talked about over the phone I'll flip the freak out.

Accidentally slamming the door of the taxi closed after I payed him, I stormed into the house, nearly tripping over the steps on the front porch. Stupid stairs!

"Mom? Dad? I'm home!" it was offly quiet as I entered the house until I heard mom yell from the living room.

"What's so important that I had to rush all the way home, leaving my best friend- who's currently being taken to the hospital, not that you seem to care!" I huffed, leaning against the doorway leading to the living room.

There was something about the way both of my parents were huddled together on the couch-holding each other's hands tightly as if they were too afraid to let go that made me tense.

"Mom? Have you been... crying?" I asked hesitantly. my mom never cries- well i'm sure she does just not in front of me.

I fully entered the room, slowly making my way to the chair opposite the couch they were sitting on. The overstuffed leather chair nearly swallowed me whole as I sat down. I started playing with a strand of my strawberry blonde hair as a way to avoid the unbearable tension that was building in the room as my parents stared at me.