Chapter Five

His angel was lighter than he'd been expecting, but she was slight. Her body seemed frail, especially when she shivered from the cold. Claudio worked on warming his body. He did it slowly in the hopes she wouldn't notice.

He'd already frightened her enough for one night.

The last thing he needed to do was add volcano to her list of words to describe him. Not with monster already being up there.

His mate was beautiful. Everything he'd been expecting and more.

Her eyes, though fearful right now, were big and green and sparkly. He swore to all things holy he'd be getting rid of that fear that nested within them. In time, his fated female would come to realise that she'd never have to fear him. In fact, she'd best have fear for the people on her bad side. Claudio would destroy anything that sought to hurt her.

Wet and all, her hair looked terribly soft. Like a place he could get lost in.

She was too precious. He needed to get her inside.

Thankfully, he'd had the sense to set his tent up close to the water. The angel had her eyes closed, head buried in his neck, so she didn't get the chance to see the oddness of the scene.

A circle of grass stood clear around the tent. He'd made a point of warming a circle around it just in case she'd be cold like this. A wise decision on his part. The little thing didn't so much as have a pair of shoes. Her nightgown was too thin. Without him, she'd freeze to death out here.

Careful not to hurt her, he bent to pull back the zip on his tent, gently laying her to rest inside.

Disbelief still coursed through him, along with wonder and excitement.

Worth the wait.

He could feel this woman would be everything he'd hoped for and more.

Now to get over her fear.

From his friends, he knew she wouldn't feel the same bond and pull towards him that he felt for her. In other words, he'd do everything in his power to make her want him too. At the end of the day, he couldn't force this little female to stay with him if she chose not to.

Be wise.

Rash decisions would get him nowhere.

So kissing her right now would be a terrible idea.

He dragged his gaze away from her lips.

The angel was still a little wide-eyed as she glanced at her surroundings. Claudio had done his best to make it something she'd be comfortable with. It was nothing luxurious, space and all considered, but it was more than enough to keep her safe out here. There were sleeping bags and hot water bottles and pillows. He'd brought torches and foods and hot drinks in flasks. Anything and everything he could think of to make her happy.

For his mate, no expense was to be spared.

The second he zipped the tent back up, his body warmed drastically. His fated female didn't make the connection to him, but her shivering soon began to stop.

Thank the Gods. He'd been resisting the urge to wrap her up in his arms. The poor girl was already frightened enough. Clearly, she'd spook at the smallest of things. Claudio had to take this slowly.

Still, he could hardly believe she was real.

"I need to look at your back," He said, giving her a serious look.

A spark of mistrust flashed through her eyes. "It's fine. I'm fine."

"I'm no monster," He promised, her earlier words still ringing through his head. "You have your weapon. If I try anything, you can use it against me."