Chapter Thirty-Seven

Nothing will happen to you.

In the dark, he held his mate to his chest, his fingers running softly through her dark hair. The skin-to-skin contact between them brought him much needed comfort, especially after the week he'd been having.

I won't let anything happen to you.

He didn't care which bastard he had to kill to ensure it. He'd tie her to the Gods forsaken bed if he had to. No harm would come his precious mate's way.

Not now, not ever.

And the sooner she caught onto that the better.

Meg would learn, just like everyone else, that she was impenetrable.

She was too fragile laying in his arms like this. Far too perfect.

He wouldn't let the world corrupt her goodness. He'd make certain nothing happened to her one way or another.

Fuck her options.

She wasn't making that deal.

A heavy knocking came from the door.

He growled quietly, on high alert in an instant.

His mate laid sound asleep in his arms, completely oblivious.

When the knocking didn't stop, he growled louder, laying her softly down amongst the pillows. She snuggled into them, thawing the ice in his pained heart.

But that patience and warmth was for her alone.

He didn't tear the door open with the same care.

Ruby stood on the other side, eyes wide at the ferocity.

A week ago he might've been calmer, but a lot had happened in the last week.

The little woman in my bed is driving me insane.

The Gods help him, if she left him like that to go see a dangerous God again, heads would roll.

His body was thrumming with an ungodly anger.

"What can be so fucking urgent you'd risk waking my mate up at this time in the morning?"

The demoness quickly became sheepish, shifting her weight from one leg to the other. "I didn't realise the time Sir."

"The darkness didn't tell you?"

She lowered her gaze. "I, uh, I brought you some letters." She held them out awkwardly. "I, well, I was sorting through some things because I couldn't sleep. I've been struggling to adjust back to sleeping since leaving the dungeons. And, well, I should've waited for the morning. I understand that. But Sir, one of the letters appeared out of nowhere."

"What?"

He took them from her hands, squinting in the dark.

"Mystically, Sir. You have a mystical letter."

A mystical letter couldn't mean anything good. He resisted the urge to curse.

"Thank you," He said curtly.

"My apologies for the time."

He closed the door before she could turn her back, pacing back over to the bed with the letters in hand. Perching on the edge, he tore into the top one. The one that buzzed with energy.

He glanced back at his mate before reading anything. Thankfully, she was still asleep. Lord knows how much she needed it.

Assured, he read the others first.