Chapter Fourteen

In the living room, Claudio had a set of guests.

On their walk over there, he proofed Megan on who they'd be.

There was Lorcan, the King of the werewolves. Claudio said he was a nice man, but something about the positioning of his eyebrows had him looking unfriendly and standoffish. Apparently he was prideful and prone to irrational thinking, but he'd never bring harm to those whom Claudio cared about.

Then there was Evette, Queen of the werewolves. Or Evie, as Claudio said she liked to be called. He said that Evie could see the future, but that she probably wouldn't tell anyone about it. At least not the full truth. Claudio said to prepare herself for 'Beyonce' references she wouldn't understand and 'pop culture' drop ins.

Then there was Faith. Claudio said to prepare herself for a compact Evie. And paint stains.

Meg didn't get what he meant until she saw the child. Instantly, her face lit up.

Children were rare in the heavens. Extremely rare since a Valkyrie could not simply be born. They were made, so to say.

She and her sister weren't technically sisters, but they'd been made at the same time and found at the same time. For them, that had always been enough.

At seeing a child now, there was no containing her excitement.

As if sensing her excitement, the child started to get excited too.

"Claudio, what a surprise to see you here!" Evie called, her smile tight. She knew what was coming.

He folded his arms across his chest, big muscles rippling in threat. "I live here."

"Do you?" Evie laughed falsely. "I must've forgotten." Her eyes darted across to Megan. "Oh, and is this your lovely mate? Megan, is it? It's lovely to meet you. You're so beautiful. I always knew you would be. Angel and all. Meet my family. This is Lorcan and my daughter Faith."

Faith seemed to be shaking with the need to get closer. Claudio figured she'd already been told that Megan was an angel. Faith had a thing for those sorts of things. Angels, unicorns, mermaids. Anything along those lines.

"Evette," Claudio droned.

"Oh Claudio—I didn't see you there."

Meg muttered something along the lines of 'how could you miss him?'. Then something like 'giant, enormous wall of muscle'.

He shot his little mate a glare.

She and Evie were going to get along too well.

"What are you doing here, unannounced and uninvited?"

"You invited us." When his face didn't change, she coughed. "Or, no, you will invite us. Whoops. It's so easy to mix the future up with the present." Realising this was getting her nowhere, she quickly changed tactic. "Didn't you do this just the other day? Unannounced, uninvited and covered in blood."

"Didn't you know this is the first time my mate has ever been to my castle?" He answered tonelessly. "Or did you miss that when you sucked off your crystal balls?"

Lorcan wheezed, earning a slap around the tabs. "Stop laughing."

He shrugged innocently. "Sorry Pet. But he's got a point."

Hadn't it occurred to her that he might have a few things he wanted to do with his mate upon arriving? Things they needed to clear up urgently? Of course it hadn't. When she and Lorcan were in the newly met mates time frame, he'd been tie wrapping her to her seat whilst she'd been shipping his brother off to a then evil Queen.