Chapter Fifteen

By the time Claudio had finished his discussion with Evie, the woman's daughter had well and truly worn Megan out.

Megan wasn't very good on her feet, so she'd crashed and tumbled plenty of times playing tag through the castle halls with the toddler.

Comes to something when a child has better balance than me.

But Meg wouldn't let that get her down. She'd had a good time. Besides, she was sure the child's Father appreciated a much-needed nap.

Children were little terrors. Meg had figured this some time ago when the toddler had taken to tickling a feather beneath her Father's nose whilst he rested. They needed to be entertained all the time. Meg enjoyed it, but after portal jumping too, she was well and truly tapped out by the time that meeting was over.

When the child's Mother returned to the room with Claudio hot on her heels, Meg could've cried out in joy.

After apologising profusely for the terror her daughter was sure to have reigned, the family of three left, a sight Claudio couldn't have possibly been more grateful for.

When they were gone, he still stood by the doorway, eyes on Meg as she shuffled on the couch.

"How has your day been?" He asked.

When she looked at his face, she saw that he really cared. Claudio wasn't asking for the sake of making conversation. This wasn't small talk. He was genuinely upset that he'd had to leave her. Now, it seemed as though he'd cling to anything she told him.

Because mate didn't mean what she thought it meant. Because he's never letting me leave this place.

Prisoner.

"Exhausting," She answered, a plan already formed in her head. Meg had a way of getting the answers she wanted. She'd been crafty for the better part of two hundred years now, sneaking around the heavens, learning things she wasn't supposed to know. "She's fun, isn't she?"

"She's something alright. Too much like her evil mother."

"And how was your day? Busy?"

"Boring. I know who I'd have rather been speaking to." He crossed the room, pressing a chaste kiss to her forehead.

It burned through her body, heating her up. 

"I'm sorry that I've been busy love. I promised I would explain things to you and then this happened. But I'll be with you all day tomorrow. Just you and me. You'll have my undivided attention." He needn't worry. The conversation he'd been beating around since meeting her had been summed up pretty well by a three-year-old in the space of two minutes.

Sleepily, Meg rolled onto her side, resting her head on the armrest.

From her side, the demon King frowned at her. "What are you doing?"

"I'm tired."

She was going to sleep.

A strangled sound came from the King. He had her in seconds, prompting her up to a stand. "You'll get a bad back sleeping there. Your back's suffered enough. Let's get you to a bed. I can carry you if you'd like."

"Don't, I might end up taking you up on that."

"I wouldn't mind."

In a knowing tone, she muttered, "I'm sure you wouldn't."

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Nothing. At. All."

He didn't press it any further, guiding her forwards. "Let's get you to bed pretty girl."