Chapter Twenty

"Knock knock."

Megan groaned, rolling over to face the door. Caspian was already crossing the threshold, an out of it look on his face.

"Doesn't opening the door first defeat the purpose of knocking?"

The demon Captain shut the door behind himself with an eyeroll. "He was right. You do have an attitude."

So not true.

"What if I'd been naked?"

"The knock knock was your three second opportunity to cover up."

She grumbled, burying her head in the covers. "You'd better hope he's not listening. I have it on good authority he'll remove your 'child bearing capabilities'."

"Ha. Claudio wishes."

She gaped as Caspian entered her room as if he owned the place.

"What time is it?"

"Why? Are you still tired? That's what you get when you spend all night reading."

These men were worse than Beth. Her roommate up there in the heavens was always on her tail. But Meg missed it now. She'd give anything for five more minutes of Beth moaning at her.

"It was worth it," She answered. "Where's...?"

"For someone who can't feel an immortal bond, you're getting just as bad as him. He's downstairs waiting for you to get your ass down to breakfast."

"Why is it you waking me up?"

"Because I banned Claudio from coming in here when we've got a schedule to follow. Don't give me that innocent look. You throw him off."

"Not intentionally."

"He looks at you and forgets everything. You've been here three days and it's like you've been here a bloody lifetime. Get up now. Breakfast. Schedule. Remember?"

"You're bitter in the morning."

"Haven't had my coffee yet. Up. Come on. Let's go."

She was ready within the next half an hour, showered and fully dressed. Caspian sat on the end of her bed, glaring at an imaginary watch every second or so until the door was, once again, closed behind him.

"Alright, here's a few things Claudio won't have told you yet about today and won't tell you because he doesn't want to worry you."

"Give it to me," Meg answered.

"We'll start with Kyra. She's nice, don't get me wrong—but she's a little intense."

Hmm, comforting.

Meg had gotten good at dealing with intense.

You've sinned.

So long as Kyra didn't whip out a hellfire forged blade, Meg could deal with her.

"Intense how?"

"Everything's ride or die with Kyra. She doesn't do anything to the halves. The second she finds out you're going to a war, you've shot it. Kyra lives like her life depends on it."

"Good to know."

"Secondly, the Amazons. You think the demons are bad, you haven't met an Amazon yet. Where we're going today is going to be packed with immortal women soldiers. If you ask me, the ladies are worse. They're going to be in your face, exploiting weakness, and they won't go easy on you. They'll push as many buttons as they can until there're no buttons left to push. You snap, they figure you out."