Chapter Thirty-Three

After their meeting the day before had come to a heated close between Annaliese and Kyra, there hadn't been many chances to talk for Claudio and Meg. As expected, the meeting had left Claudio with a great deal to sort through, so by the time he'd gone to bed, Meg had been fast asleep.

She'd been left to think on what Eros had said to her. His proposition on visiting Ares.

Of course she planned to speak to Claudio before she jumped into any decisions, but it was the most promising thing she had thus far.

A bad idea was better than no ideas.

And the demon's not going to like it.

She wasn't so sure how far a please would get her with this one. With this proposition, the King might well and truly tie her up and leave her in the bathtub.

In the morning, like usual, she took her seat at the breakfast table with Caspian, a great variety of foods laid out before them.

The note that'd been left at her bedside said Claudio was leaving early for business, but he ought to be back in time for breakfast.

She knew she was in deep when her eyes kept darting towards the door.

Totally lost on him. How embarrassing.

Another distraction came to play before she could get too longing.

A rough looking Ruby was ambling past the doorway. The demoness had certainly seen better days.

Suppose the dungeons weren't treating her all too well.

I'm glad for it.

"Hang on a minute Megsy," Cas said, pausing his mercenary spiel. Sure, Meg was a little smug, but Cas was willing to rub it in. All too happy, he put two fingers to his mouth and whistled. "Someone call the guards! A prisoner's escaped."

Stiffly, Ruby turned on her feet. When her eyes darted towards Meg, the angel fought to hide a smile.

This wasn't an ideal situation for anyone. Sure, she was feeling gleeful, relieved, like a winner—but there was a nice way of going about this.

But Claudio's mine.

There was a nice way of going about it in which Meg also made her point.

"Good morning General."

Ruby's eyes skirted right over Megan. So this is how we're going to play. Huffing, Meg reached for the bread.

"Professional as ever," Ruby pressed.

"Ruby?" Cas asked, feigning a gasp. "Is that you? They finally throw you in the dungeons for being such a buzzkill?"

Don't smile. Don't smile. Don't smile!

It was hard when Cas was giving her that look. A look that said he had her back.

"And mature too," Ruby stated.

Cas chortled. "Did you feel at home down there?"

"I'm tempted to go back. If it'll spare me your verdict."

"Lighten up Ruby. Megsy won fair and square. Shouldn't have tried playing with the big girls if you can't handle the heat."

The selection of words. The dig. The sheer perfection of it.

Don't smile Meg. Keep it together.

Caspian was trying to make her laugh just as much as he fought for a rise from Ruby.

The demoness gave him exactly what he was looking for.

"I'm sure I can handle the heat much better than others." Her runes shimmered an angry red.