Epilogue

Amazonian attire had become Meg's daily getup. Paired with her hellish wings, she might not have been a fire demon, but she certainly looked the part.

Looking the part and feeling the part, unfortunately, were entirely different things.

She waited in Claudio's office, summoning up any last ounce of courage she had within her.

The last couple of weeks had gone by in a whirlwind. For the first time in a year, she and Claudio had finally gotten the chance to relax. And so, they'd taken to his log cabin by the Scottish portal for some couple time. Lots and lots of couple time.

After that, they'd gotten straight back to planning. A different kind of planning. A lighter planning.

Coronation planning.

Claudio wanted to make things official. He wanted to put a crown on her head and make her his Queen. His very own demon Queen.

She felt his gaze from where he stood by the doorway.

Even with Evie's advice and all the congratulatory comments, she was still struggling to get over what'd actually happened in the heavens. Over Nadine getting away.

She wanted him to be disappointed in her. To see the same failures she saw. To ridicule her for her weakness. Instead, he still stared at her like she was some sort of gift. The best thing to have ever happened to him. His precious little demon Queen, brought into his life to make him happier. To brighten his days. The reason behind his smiles.

"You look incredible," He said softly, done with his pose by the doorway. From behind, his hands fell upon her hips, his mouth latching onto her neck. He wanted her to feel good. To banish these shitty feelings. "No surprises there. You never disappoint love."

The irony. Meg had never been so disappointed in herself in her life.

Everyone had been counting on her, waiting for her to avenge them. And she'd failed.

"Thank you."

He tutted disapprovingly, pulling her body taut against his.

"No compliment for me?"

Despite herself, she managed a smile. If anyone was going to draw one out of her, it was bound to be him.

"You know you look good. You always look good, big, stupid, handsome demon King. You don't need me to say it."

"Your flattery is always welcome." He wrapped both arms around her, refusing to give up until he got what he wanted. "Not much longer till you're my Queen. Officially. You've always been my Queen." When she still gave him nothing, he groaned, kissing up and down her neck faster. "Pop your hip out love. Give me some attitude."

She wanted to go back to Scotland and continue lolling about in the bed. To go back to walking through the woods knowing there'd be no one about for miles but him and her. No one to look at and feel guilty for. 

No one had held her inability to kill Nadine against her. Not Eros, whose girlfriend had been tormented by the woman during her time as a mortal. Not Kyra, who'd spent the entire year training her to gut the bitch. Not even Claudio, who'd made sacrifice after sacrifice throughout the year to get her ready to face the heavens.

No one held it against each other. No one but Meg.

She wanted the log cabin back badly. Out there, the heavens didn't cross her mind.

She sighed, hands falling to his, holding them like she didn't want him to let go. And she didn't. He was her vice right now. His hands kept her from floating away.