Chapter Forty-Seven

In the hallway, his mate was spitting feathers, especially when he continued pushing her along until they were well out of the Amazons' sight.

The second he stopped pushing, she made to dart around him, but he dutifully blocked the doorway with his body.

"No, love. You and I need to talk."

She scoffed, trying and failing to push past him. Anticipating this, he nudged her back some more until they found a bathroom. Backing her up towards the counter, he locked the door.

"I'm not interested," She hissed, staring over his shoulder blankly—because looking at him might wear her down.

"Tough luck because I am."

She shook her head in denial. "If you get to be angry and mopey for a week, then I get to do what I want to now."

Angry and mopey. The Amazons were right. Megan had come here with a grudge.

"That's what I came here to talk to you about now."

"Well you took your time."

"Do you want to know what I've been doing love?" He asked, boxing her in with his arms. She pressed her back right up against the counter, anything to put distance between them. His head fell to her neck, nose grazing along her skin. I have her. And so long as he had her within his grasp, she'd be safe. He'd make damn fucking sure she'd stay safe during her war. "Research every hour I can fit into the day, because the thought of you making a deal with Ares is killing me."

"You could've told me that," She said, softer- though still angry- this time. "You know I'd have understood. Instead, you've left me in the dark."

"If I'd have come here to tell you anything- a place I know for certain you're safe- I'd have never got anything done, because I'd have never been able to leave you, and then I'd have no research done whatsoever." He hoped she was taking his words on board. He hated her being mad at him. He hated this distance. He hated that Cas was right about this wedge between them.

She was breathing heavily, as if she'd just been running.

His little angel was angry.

 Then that makes two of us.

"And I have every reason to be mad at you."

"Mad at me? What did I do?"

"You charmed me, evil little vixen." His body tensed as if expecting her to do it again. To send him home once more to escape this conversation for good. He'd learn to fight it. Somehow. "If you had any idea how worried I was when I couldn't fucking leave home to check on you."

"Charming you was necessary. You weren't listening."

"I was too busy worrying about you."

"You didn't need to worry about me. Rosa's my sister."

The name pulled a growl from his throat.

"That didn't stop the bitch from attacking you."

"Damn it Claudio—" Her hands fell to his shoulders.

"I might not kill her, but that doesn't mean I have to like her."

"That whole thing was a misunderstanding."

"You snuck off."

Didn't seem much like a misunderstanding to him. And the panic he'd felt when her scent had originally disappeared was haunting. Evil devil angel. It'd only doubled when he left the bar and scented her blood. Worse, he couldn't kill the villain behind it. Meg would never forgive him.