Chapter Six

There was no chance of Claudio sleeping. Not yet at least. Not when there was so much for him to mull over.

After centuries of waiting, he finally had her. And Gods was she perfect for him.

He fell in love with how tiny she was. Paired with an enormous male like Claudio, she was like a tiny little cuddly bear. And damn it, he couldn't wait to spoil her rotten.

Even now, he longed to reach out for her and cradle her close.

But he had to be wary.

A huge male like him must be terrifying to her. He'd seen ancient immortal warriors piss themselves when faced by him. But Meg would come to learn, in time, that she never needed to fear him. He'd never do her any harm.

He needed to find out what she knew of this world from her life in the heavens. She'd said something about the monsters that walked these lands. Was that the only part of these lands that she knew?

He'd figure it out.

Gods be damned, he'd figure everything out.

But right now, he had shit to do.

He pulled out an enchanted satellite phone, dialling for the Lupine Territories.

"Hello? You've reached the enchanted hotline for Evie Wicker. Evie's not answering at the moment as she's just opened a bottle of wine and would, simply, rather not."

Typical oracles. Always having the information but never wanting to share it around.

Eyes on Megan, he wasn't up for the jokes this time.

"I need to talk to you."

"Seriously Claudio?" Her exasperation dripped like venom through the phone. "Did you not hear what I just said about that bottle of wine? You try raising a toddler. Then you'll see why wine is a hundred percent necessary right now."

"I have her."

And fuck, he could hardly believe it.

Never letting her go.

"Sorry, didn't catch that."

"I said I have her."

"Ah! Good for you Claudio. Now can I please-"

"Her name's Megan and she's perfect."

But those marks on her back weren't perfect. They'd heal soon, serving as old scars—but it wasn't good enough. Not for Claudio.

"Yes, I know that," Evie said.

"And I need your help."

"Of course you do," She hissed. "Everyone needs Evie when the wine bottle opens. First the werewolf, then the child, now the demon King. Go on then. I've put the lid back on so I hope you're happy. What do you want?"

"How do I get her wings back?"

There had to be a way. To Megan, losing her wings was probably the same as him losing his horns. He'd dehorned himself to make her feel more comfortable. Despite knowing his would grow back, he already felt lost without them. He couldn't imagine what Megan was going through. So he vowed to whatever forsaken God was listening—he'd get her wings back for her.

Nothing will stop me.

"Sorry," Evie said. "Again, I don't think I heard that right."

"They took her wings with hellfire," He explained. "How do I get them back for her?"

"Claudio, oh simple, brilliant Claudio. You don't. I'd think you of all people would know how hellfire works. It's permanent. And when the damage has been done, it's irreversible. Has the damage been done?"