Chapter Thirteen

Meg's head was spinning, the effects of the portal jumper taking hold of her. When she landed once more with her feet on the ground, she closed her eyes, launching herself at Claudio's chest until the dizziness dwindled down.

She focused on his hand on her back. His enormous hand. The hand that stroked soft circles into her body, calming her down.

Gods, she was already wobbly on her legs. The last thing she needed was that kind of travel muddling her brain up.

"That was horrible," She mumbled into his breastplate, still feeling like she was seeing stars.

"I know." His hand wavered, uncertain, before he went with it, placing his hand on the back of her head. Gods, her hair was so soft. Exactly how he knew it would be. "You'll get used to it the more you do it. Tired?"

"Like you wouldn't believe."

"We'll get you to sleep soon. I promise."

He readied to pull back, knowing how she hated to be smothered. Meg had already reared her head as miss independent, her throwing arm was further proof of that. And yet, for the first time ever, she clung to him, squeezing him closer. "No—not yet. Let me stand like this for a second. It's balancing me."

His brows shot up, shock coursing through him. But then he smiled, hugging her tighter. "We can stay like this for as long as you need."

He wasn't complaining.

Megan hugged him tightly, as if she were scared he'd disappear.

It occurred to him he was the only thing she had right now. Megan didn't know anyone down here, but she knew him better than anyone else. In the face of so many strangers, she'd cling to the one face she knew. He'd let her cling anytime.

"Alright. I'm good to go now."

His heart broke at that admission.

"Are you sure? We can stay like this a little longer if it helps."

"I'm sure."

"Certain?"

"Positive."

"Okay, but only if you insist."

She started to pull away. Only when she moved her hands from him did Claudio decide he wasn't ready. He grabbed her back just as tightly as she had him, crushing her face into his embrace.

"What are you—"

"I think I need a little longer. It's balancing me out."

"I thought the effects wear off the more you do it."

"It's my second time."

A snort came from nearby. Caspian. Claudio shot daggers his way over Megan's head. The copper haired moron shrugged, smirking mercilessly.

Eventually, to his dismay, they did pull back, giving Megan the time to examine the room.

Inside, Claudio's castle had a woodsy feel about it. Very oldy-worldy. But it was open. Spacious. Homey.

The look on Megan's face said she liked it.

God, what was that feeling? Relief.

What would he do if she didn't like it?

Remodel everything.

As demons milled about around them, Claudio worked on easing any of her worries.

"We can get that parchment of yours dried and restored now."

In an instant, her face lit up. "Really?"