Chapter Thirty-Nine

Claudio buried the paper in the bottom of his pocket, somewhere Meg would never see it. He'd tell her when the time was right. For now, he knew how she'd respond.

He'd been mad about her making open-ended deals. She'd doubtlessly match his fire when she heard of his latest decision.

As far as he was concerned, Meg would never see the paper—evidence—he carried in his pocket. When he reached his castle, he'd make certain of that fact.

He knew she wouldn't approve.

But this wasn't about her approval. This was about her safety.

Claudio would prioritise, even if it meant a falling out.

She wanted a raw, untamed demon? She's fucking got it.

As soon as he'd finished his business with Ronan, he made it out of Triumph, vowing—praying—he'd never have to go back to that dank place again.

After that, he headed straight to the Amazon fortress. He needed to see her. He couldn't wait any longer.

When he got near enough, an Amazon headed out to escort him. Though she didn't smile or make an effort to greet him, it was a much warmer reception than that of seven warlocks.

"You're here for Megan," She stated.

He nodded once. "I'm here to take her home."

And lose himself in her company. To remind himself that she was safe. To hold her tight and promise himself he'd never let her go. That nothing would ever happen to her.

"Kyra will want to speak to you first," The Amazon added. "To update you on her progress."

With that, she marched towards the hall. Claudio was much happier to follow.

At least with an Amazon he'd know where he stood.

This Amazon in particular led him directly to where he wanted to go. The fighting hall in which Megan was being trained. He scented her from afar. That alone brought him the relief he needed. To know she was safe. That she was nowhere near where he'd been to today. That she'd never go anywhere near that place. That she'd never have to.

The sooner he got her back to the castle the better.

When they reached the fighting hall, the sight of her took his breath away.

There she was completely unaware of his presence and fighting her little heart out. Her hair whipped madly about the place, ducking beneath the multiple fists sent in her direction.

Kyra sure knew what she was doing. She had his girl fighting multiple Amazons off at the same time. And she looked at ease doing it.

His mate was ruthless, kicking and punching, ducking and jumping.

He'd been stupid to think she couldn't take care of herself. Stupid to see her as breakable.

Meg was a force to be reckoned with. In her year out of the heavens, she'd grown into a strong fighter.

A surge of pride shot through him.

That's my girl.

He felt a presence at his side. Kyra.

"She's strong," Kyra acknowledged, stating the obvious.

Anyone could see that.

As he watched her throw her next punch, Claudio took notice of her muscles. She wasn't the same angel that had fallen to the lake.

Megan was stronger. Faster. More confident.

But she hadn't lost an ounce of that attitude. He thanked the lord for that.